Excel add-in retrieving member count RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I am working with the RTM version of SQL2012 and succesfully created a geogroaphy model. I then created an country entity and loaded it useng the excell add-in. In a second step I created a continent entity which is referenced from the country entity.  Al this behaves as expected in the web UI.  Both entities can viewed and edited.

When I connect from Excel again to the model, I can load the countries without any problem. When I try the same for the continents entity, the spreadsheet hangs with the message "retrieving member count".

I also activated the logging, but that does not give much information. Has anybody an idea what goes wrong?

Peter Jonckheere

Sunday, April 1, 2012 7:07 PM

Answers

• Do you have .Net Framework 4.5 Beta installed? This is a known issue with .Net 4.5 Beta.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, May 2, 2012 10:00 PM

All replies

• Hi Peter,

I think it's an Excel related issue. I had the same stuff when using Excel that was installed on the virtual server hosting MDS. Then I installed the add-in onto my local machine and it works as expected.

So I don't know the reason but I haven't changed anything in MDS. Hmm. Just checked: are you using 64bit Excel? On the server we have 64 bit but locally I've got 32bit. If you also use 64bit give it a try with the 32bit Excel version and let me know whether it works.

Cheers,

MartinIsti

Friday, April 13, 2012 3:41 AM
  • Do you have .Net Framework 4.5 Beta installed? This is a known issue with .Net 4.5 Beta.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, May 2, 2012 10:00 PM
  • Hi

I also have this issue, is there something one can do to fix this?

Regards
    Rafi Asraf

Thursday, May 31, 2012 6:29 AM
  • I did some additional testing with another PC and there the add-in worked without flaws.

On the failing system I did an uninstall/reinstall of Excel, but it turns out this does not remove the add-in.

I have visual studio beta products on this system, including net 4.5 code, so I Suspect Ovidio's answer might be the correct on.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

PS I als have installed the RTM version of MDS in another environment and did quite some work with it and have had no further issues with the add-in.

Peter

Friday, June 15, 2012 11:35 AM