none
XAML Designer View Randomly Stops Working

Question

• I have just started using Visual Studio a few days ago, and have been trying to figure out XAML. At first, I could not see the designer view for the XAML, or the properties tab for XAML objects. After restarting Visual Studio a few times, and restarting my machine, I gave up on this feature. After a Windows update, the feature began working, and it was much easier and quicker to write any XAML. Then, Windows updated again, and now the feature is broken once again. I get an error message saying that the designer view has had an unexpected error, and the error code changes every time. I have had 4032, 9192, 2328, 10056, 9668, and several others; they seem to be almost random. I am running Windows 10 Pro, and am currently in version 1551, OS Build 10586.63.

Any help would be appreciated,

Theo

Tuesday, January 19, 2016 8:53 PM

Answers

• Hi Theo,

Thanks for your post.

Could you please tell me what’s the type of your application? Windows form or WPF or UWP application or other applications?

What’s the version of your Visual Studio?

I suggest you could create a new application and check whether the XAML Designer view can work well. For example: create a new WPF or windows form application.

If the XAML Designer still can’t work normally. I suppose there might be something wrong with your Visual Studio.

Try to repair your Visual Studio or install the latest update of the VS then try it again.

For example: if you are using VS2013, install VS2013 Update5. If you are using VS2015, install VS2015 Update1.

If still no help, since it works well before the windows update. I think the cause is probably the XAML Designer is conflict with windows system.

In this case, uninstalling the windows update looks like a good solution to you.

You could find the latest windows update in control panel(Control Panel->Uninstall a program) then uninstall it.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Wednesday, January 20, 2016 6:44 AM

All replies

• Hi Theo,

Thanks for your post.

Could you please tell me what’s the type of your application? Windows form or WPF or UWP application or other applications?

What’s the version of your Visual Studio?

I suggest you could create a new application and check whether the XAML Designer view can work well. For example: create a new WPF or windows form application.

If the XAML Designer still can’t work normally. I suppose there might be something wrong with your Visual Studio.

Try to repair your Visual Studio or install the latest update of the VS then try it again.

For example: if you are using VS2013, install VS2013 Update5. If you are using VS2015, install VS2015 Update1.

If still no help, since it works well before the windows update. I think the cause is probably the XAML Designer is conflict with windows system.

In this case, uninstalling the windows update looks like a good solution to you.

You could find the latest windows update in control panel(Control Panel->Uninstall a program) then uninstall it.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Wednesday, January 20, 2016 6:44 AM
  • Hi,

I have tried your suggestion of creating a windows form, and this seems to work. I can edit properties and use the designer while working on a windows form project. But as soon as I switch back to my C++ project, it stops working again. Any idea how to fix this?
    Thanks,

Theo

Theo Sandstrom

Sunday, February 14, 2016 4:15 PM
  • Hi Theo,

Could you please tell me what's the version of your Visual Studio and what's the your C++ project type?

If you were using VS2015 Community Update1. It seems that there is a known issue for it. The error code is (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8000000A).

If you were using other version of VS, I suggest you could  try to repair your VS then try it again.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Monday, February 15, 2016 8:39 AM
  • Hi,

It says that I am using "Version 14.0.24720.00 Update 1" and my project is a Universal Windows Application.

Theo Sandstrom

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 9:51 AM
  • Hi Theo,

>>After a Windows update, the feature began working, and it was much easier and quicker to write any XAML. Then, Windows updated again, and now the feature is broken once again.

Please repair your VS2015 Update1 at first. If still no help. I suggest you could try to uninstall the previous windows update to check whether the windows update cause it.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Wednesday, February 17, 2016 1:28 AM