Metro game, and GDF file

Question

• I've built a game in C#, and am trying to follow this guide for creating a GDF file so that the game is ready to submit to the Windows Store:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh465153.aspx

However, I'm stuck in the section "Creating a DLL project container for the GDF file", at step 3:

"3. In the Add New Project dialog, navigate to the Win32 subtype under Visual C++ in the Installed Templates section of the dialog. Choose the Win32 Project type, enter a name and location for the project and click OK."

I don't have the option for a Win32 project type, and none of the available project types seem to work for the MSDN guide so I've been unable to add the GDF file to my project. I'm using Windows 8 Consumer Preview 32-bit and Visual Studio Express 11 beta.

If anyone else has been through the GDF process required for game apps and could help me, or if anyone at Microsoft could clarify why I'm unable to complete the MSDN process for adding a GDF file I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

Developer. Windows, Mac OS X, iOS, WP7, Silverlight.

• Moved by Matt SmallMicrosoft employee, Moderator Monday, April 30, 2012 4:28 PM Store issue (From:Building Metro style apps with C# or VB )
    • Moved by Jesse_F Tuesday, May 1, 2012 8:50 PM developer is having issue using VS Express. (From:Windows Store: Publishing Metro Style apps for Windows 8)
    Sunday, April 29, 2012 4:58 PM

Answers

• Chris,

After further investigation, it looks like you are using VS Express. I am going to move this thread to the Tools forum. They should be able to better assist with what you are trying to accomplish.

Thanks,

Jesse

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 8:47 PM
  • Thank you, that was exactly the issue. After downloading VS11 Pro beta from MSDN I'm able to add a Win32 project to my game solution and add the GDF info to my game.

Wednesday, May 2, 2012 12:54 PM

All replies

• Hi Chris,

Are you using a Metro-style project template to create the app? Have a look at this thread on packaging your app to see if you are missing something. I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Jesse

• Edited by Jesse_F Monday, April 30, 2012 7:01 PM
    Monday, April 30, 2012 7:01 PM
  • Thanks Jesse. It is a Metro-style app, I was under the impression that for games a GDF file must be added to the project in Visual Studio before the app is packaged, is that not correct?

Monday, April 30, 2012 7:13 PM
  • Chris,

After further investigation, it looks like you are using VS Express. I am going to move this thread to the Tools forum. They should be able to better assist with what you are trying to accomplish.

Thanks,

Jesse

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 8:47 PM
  • Thank you, that was exactly the issue. After downloading VS11 Pro beta from MSDN I'm able to add a Win32 project to my game solution and add the GDF info to my game.

Wednesday, May 2, 2012 12:54 PM