Is this possible? Should I use VB or VWD? RRS feed

• Question

• I very happily discovered the launch of the Express editions of Visual Studio last week, and have been toying around with the interface.  I know some HTML/CSS and used to program a bit on Visual Basic 6, but I never got much farther than "newbie".  I, however, am quite independent and pursue projects that look nearly impossible, work on them for months, and investigate almost all of how they're done on books, MSDN or Googling.

The point is; I have a VB 6 game called Portfolio PC, which is on investment.  The only graphical elements in its GUI are some really basic graphs, the keyboard, and a couple of VB 'shape' controls.  It's a multiplayer game and was designed to have 2-4 users share a computer, taking turns.  The only processing the program does is mathematic, and could really be done with subs with no problem at all.

What I would really, really like to do is to create a web version of the game, where you could find people in a sort of lobby, and then take turns, but each on his/her computer.  I'd like them to be able to chat, and to have maybe two or three games running at the same time.  I've fortunately got access to webhosting that's compatible with ASP, and that offers the broadband and disk space that would be required for this small-scale operation.

My question is: is this possible given my quite limited technical knowledge?  (I have never used ASP and panicked when faced with a simple PHP problem).  Should I use Web Developer or Visual Basic?  Will the Express version give me everything I need to do so or will I have to spring out for Standard?

I really would appreciate your help in this matter.

Thanks, Angel
    Thursday, November 24, 2005 1:36 AM

Answers

• Hi!

Thanks for asking! I'm a member of the ASP.NET team, and was just popping over here to see what was going on. The best place to ask ASP.NET questions is over on the ASP.NET forums at http://www.asp.net/welcome.aspx?tabindex=1&tabid=39

The short answer to your question is that yes, you can do this with VWD and the express version will work perfectly for this.  You should be able to find all the help you need on the ASP.NET forums!

HTH,

PEte

Monday, November 28, 2005 6:24 PM