none
How to know which modules/projects are affected of a given source file

Question

• Hi,

My solution contains many C++ projects  (.exe, .dll, .lib) and there are also lots of project dependencies between them.

There are also many utility files that are shared and included in different projects and libraries.

If a given file has been modified (.cpp/header/resource), is there an easy way to tell which modules (.exe/.dll) will be affected? This way way I will be able to manage a proper module versioning.

E.g. a given header file is #included by a cpp file in a .lib project, and that .lib is included in one application (.exe) project and additional two dll project. Then whenever that header file is changed (a real code change, not //remark) then I will need to update the version number (in .rc files) of those .exe and dlls.

Any help how to manage this would be appreciated

Thank you.

Dadi

Tuesday, August 16, 2016 8:13 AM

All replies

• Hi Dadi,

Thank you for your post.

>>If a given file has been modified (.cpp/header/resource), is there an easy way to tell which modules (.exe/.dll) will be affected?

Currently, considering that a given source file could be related to many xexe/dll files, or even some additional Include directories, it's really difficult to function this.

Also, there is not such a VS setting that could find out which modules are affected after the file is modified.

How about making a list which contains the modules, then write if...else... statement to tell the dedicated modules are modified.

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, August 17, 2016 6:13 AM
  • > How about making a list...

We have thousands of files included in a solution which contains about 50 projects in it. Also it is dynamically changes over time so your suggestion is not possible to handle.

This is why I'm are looking for an automated way of doing this.

When I'm modifying specific file and click 'project build' (not rebuild) then VS already knows if particular project needs to be rebuilt or not. That means a dependency tree probably exists and we need an access to it.

Is there any idea?

Thank you,

Dadi

Monday, August 22, 2016 5:19 PM
  • Hi Dadi,

As you know, considering that the solution and the project contain relationship is quiet complicated, the list need take a lot of time.

But currently VS doesn't have such a setting that could show the specified modules references.

>>Is there any idea?

As far as we know , it's difficult to realize this, but if we find an appropriate solution, we will inform you about this.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, August 25, 2016 8:17 AM