none
Microsoft Point of Service | Root Element is Missing RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

When starting the POS software Cash Register Express, I was receiving the error:

Unable to load global configuration file.  Could not find file 'C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Point Of Service\Configuration\Configuration.xml'.

I created an empty Configuration.xml file in this directory, which solved this particular error message.

However, I now receive the following error on the software's startup:

Exception while loading global configuration file . Error: Root element is missing.

I initially thought this may be tied to my version of .NET, but when I went to download the offline installer, It notified me that I was already at or above the downloaded version.

I'm now thinking that this is likely because the configuration.xml file I made is empty, and may need some information in it?

This has been occurring since initial setup on a Touch Dynamic Acrobat running Windows 10 Pro.

How would I go about removing this error? We think it may be causing intermittent freezing of the software.

Thank you!

Full xml of error details:

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    - <System>
      <Provider Name="Microsoft Point Of Service" />
      <EventID Qualifiers="0">0</EventID>
      <Level>2</Level>
      <Task>0</Task>
      <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
      <TimeCreated SystemTime="2019-12-26T15:03:53.559234800Z" />
      <EventRecordID>23408</EventRecordID>
      <Channel>Application</Channel>
      <Computer>Patagonia04</Computer>
      <Security />
      </System>
    - <EventData>
      <Data>Exception while loading global configuration file . Error: Root element is missing.</Data>
      </EventData>
      </Event>
    Friday, December 27, 2019 1:52 PM

All replies

• Hi POSN Travis,

Thank you for posting here.

The usual cause of 'Error: Root element is missing' in xml is that the XML document you're trying to load is not formatted properly, more exactly it's missing the root node.

<?xml version="1.0"?> 
    <rootElement>
    </rootElement>

Besides, here's a reference about Configuration.Xml.

XML File

Hope it could be helpful.

Best Regards,

Xingyu Zhao

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 30, 2019 8:58 AM
  • Hi POSN Travis,

The problem and the freeze seem less relevant.
    It works even without that file.

If you are worried, try the contents of the file below.
    A minimal configuration that defines nothing.

<PointOfServiceConfig Version="1.0">
    </PointOfServiceConfig>

The location of the file is set in these registry information.

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\POSfor.NET\Configuration"
      -> "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Point Of Service\Configuration\Configuration.xml"

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\POSfor.NET\ControlConfigs"
      -> "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Point Of Service\Control Configurations\"

Alternatively, you may define a POS for.NET device with the command "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Point Of Service\posdm.exe".

Here is information on how to use.

Using the POS Device Manager Command-Line Tool (POS for .NET v1.14 SDK Documentation)

Kunif3

Tuesday, December 31, 2019 6:04 AM