none
Nesting Backstage Elements RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to get to grips with creating our own tab within Backstage

Is there any good resource on which elements can be nested in which?

What I would like to do is the following:

Use a <taskFormGroup> to create a list of 5/6 tasks (am I right that I need at least on <category> as well as the <taskFormGroup>?)

Have each <task> in the <taskFormGroup> link to a <taskGroup> in the second column - which I can't seem to do

Can taskGroups not be under a taskFormGroup task element?

If not what are my options?

edit...

Further confusion from the Save & Send > Change File Type option, where the second column appears to have tasks in a table format of some type that I can't identify...

• Edited by dankell Monday, February 28, 2011 4:10 PM more information
    Monday, February 28, 2011 3:02 PM

Answers

• Hi dankell,

You can try to handle your issue via gallery tag after consulted the expert of Ribbon/Backstage Extensibility Q & A Group. However,it's based on my experience that Word Ribbon/Backstage extensibility tags may not support everything.

The gallery tag is in the contextMenu tag, and contextMenu tag is in the contextMenus tag. The contextMenus tag is the top-level tag like backstage tag of the CustomUI.

I hope it can help you.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 2:09 AM

All replies

• Hi dankell,

Thanks for posting in the MSDN Forum.

You are right. There only “<category>” tag exists in the “<taskFormGroup>” tag, and there only “<task>” tag exists in the “<category>” tag. If you don’t you “<taskFormGroup>” tag in “<firstColumn>” you can use a “<taskGroup>” tag in it. More information please reference : http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee691833.aspx .

And I can only find the firstColumn in the "Save & Send" > "Change File Type". Would you please clarify your mean about "where the second column appears to have tasks in a table format of some type that I can't identify"?

I hope it helps.

Have a great day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, March 2, 2011 7:38 AM
  • Tom,

Thanks fo the link, it's one I've already seen and doesn't provide the detail I was looking for - it describes the attributes of the available components of the backstage, but provides little information about the limitations of where they can be used...

As for second question, if you select Save & Send tab, then choose Change File Type in the FirstColumn, the remainder of the form shows a "table" with Document File Types and Other File Types as options followed by a Save As button.  Within the table the options appear to be tasks...

Wednesday, March 2, 2011 10:08 AM
  • Hi dankel,

If I don’t misunderstand, the “second column” you referred to is a part of the first Column. Please look at the picture. In this picture you will find the “second column”.

Please notice my customUI.xml config

And notice the BackStage's Change

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]

Wednesday, March 2, 2011 10:23 AM
  • Tom

Thanks again, but whether the component I am interested in is in the <secondColumn> or the "second column" isn't really the issue here - what I need to know is how the "table" with tasks is implemented when the Change File Type task is selected :)

Wednesday, March 2, 2011 10:33 AM
  • Hi dankell,

Please look at the Picture before this reply. I find we are not able to change anything in this task. When I try to change the Group’s label the machine became slow down! In my CustomUI.xml I show all of the idMso of this tab, and I found we are not able to add second column in this tab.

I hope it helps.

Have a great day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]

Wednesday, March 2, 2011 11:40 AM
  • Tom

I don't want to edit this particular tab, I want to know how to replicate the element of the tab that is below the text circled in your second picture

Dan

Dan Kelly
    Wednesday, March 2, 2011 2:48 PM
  • Hi dankell,

You can try to handle your issue via gallery tag after consulted the expert of Ribbon/Backstage Extensibility Q & A Group. However,it's based on my experience that Word Ribbon/Backstage extensibility tags may not support everything.

The gallery tag is in the contextMenu tag, and contextMenu tag is in the contextMenus tag. The contextMenus tag is the top-level tag like backstage tag of the CustomUI.

I hope it can help you.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 2:09 AM