Expression Web 3 RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using Expression Web 3 and recently bought a new computer with IE 9 on it.  I had my web data stored on an external hard drive.  I loaded EW on the new computer, uploaded the data on the external hard drive to the computer, made changes to the files and tried to save just like I did on the older computer.

I rec'd an error message that told me I needed to check the file permissions (which I don't know where or how to change those) or I needed to contact my Internet service provider (hello - Microsoft) or contact my web server admistrator for more information.  Well since I never had the opportunity to upload the data to the server, I didn't call them.

Anyone have any solutions?

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 4:35 AM

Answers

• 1. IE9 has absolutely nothing to do with anything.

2. Microsoft is not an Internet service provider, and has no connection with your ISP.

3. What do you mean by "... made changes to the files and tried to save just like I did on the older computer." How did you save on the old computer? Are you talking about saving locally, or publishing? If publishing, by FTP or FPSE, or what?

4. If you have a retail box (or paid download) version of EW3, you are eligible for a free upgrade to EW4 SP2. See the Forum FAQs and Guidelines - Start Here for details.

You need to be considerably clearer in your question if we are to help you.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

• Marked as answer by RH1dapw Friday, October 12, 2012 2:06 AM
    Tuesday, September 18, 2012 5:12 AM
  • Did you set up the proper publishing destinations / website locations in EW on the new computer?

Expression Web MVP

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 1:31 PM
  • You have a new computer and you are using an external drive with files placed on it from another computer. You have said nothing about whether your OS is the same (I suspect not given the change in browser mentioned), user account or permissions. You also don't indicate that you set EW 3 up to use the same site information as on your old computer in Sites > New Site, Site > Open Site, Site > Manage Sites or the Site > Publishing Settings. Those are of far more importance than anything else you could have done/changed. Certainly more so than a browser which is only useful for viewing the end results of what you created even if it has default setting different than your previous browser.

You must provide more information if you expect to get useful information because as other pointed out what browser you are using on your computer has absoutely nothing to do with EW's saving or publishing files. You might as well say that someone told you Adobe Flash Player's security model has changed so therefore it must be preventing EW from doing what you want.

The error message you are receiving is a bog standard security alert. Typcially it means that your user account doesn't have permission to write on the drive. If you were trying to save files opened from a DVD or CD back to the disk this is the message you would get because typically those are write only media so the file is tagged read only. We tend to see that from people who are using disks for back-up or to move between computers. This leads me to believe it has to do with your user account. Particularly if you were using XP previously and working there as an admin while you may be explicitly an admin in the same sense on your new computer.  That would be an OS issue not an EW issue.

Finally, if your copy of EW 3 is a retail copy - full or upgrade doesn't matter, you are entitled to a free upgrade to EW 4 which can be installed side by site. Many bugs in EW 3 were fixed along with the addtion of SuperPreveiw and a much improved customization options as well code snippet management. I'd suggest downloading the trial of EW 4 which should activate easily when it sees your existing EW 3 install.

Free Expression Web Tutorials
    For an Expression Web forum with without the posting issues try expressionwebforum.com

• Marked as answer by RH1dapw Friday, October 12, 2012 2:07 AM
    Tuesday, September 18, 2012 2:24 PM

All replies

• 1. IE9 has absolutely nothing to do with anything.

2. Microsoft is not an Internet service provider, and has no connection with your ISP.

3. What do you mean by "... made changes to the files and tried to save just like I did on the older computer." How did you save on the old computer? Are you talking about saving locally, or publishing? If publishing, by FTP or FPSE, or what?

4. If you have a retail box (or paid download) version of EW3, you are eligible for a free upgrade to EW4 SP2. See the Forum FAQs and Guidelines - Start Here for details.

You need to be considerably clearer in your question if we are to help you.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 5:12 AM
  • Scott;

If you remember, I uploaded the data from the external hard drive....Well on the old computer, when I click the save button in EW it would save back to the external hard drive and that is what I expected with the new computer.

Granted I don't know why the error message.  Why should I have to contact and internet service provider?  Why should I have to contact a web server administrator?  I am trying to save to an external hard drive in order for me to FTP the data to the server.

I believe the problem is with IE 9, because I have had another problem with an issue that told me IE 9 made a decision for me, which I didn't want, and I didn't know how to change that.  So naturally, I blame the problem on what is happening now to what has happened within the past few days.

I do have the box for the paid EW3.  I just need a quick fix, because I need to upload the website changes ASAP.  I'm afraid to make any upgrades because it may take me longer to understand the new version.

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 12:22 PM
  • Did you set up the proper publishing destinations / website locations in EW on the new computer?

Expression Web MVP

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 1:31 PM
  • You have a new computer and you are using an external drive with files placed on it from another computer. You have said nothing about whether your OS is the same (I suspect not given the change in browser mentioned), user account or permissions. You also don't indicate that you set EW 3 up to use the same site information as on your old computer in Sites > New Site, Site > Open Site, Site > Manage Sites or the Site > Publishing Settings. Those are of far more importance than anything else you could have done/changed. Certainly more so than a browser which is only useful for viewing the end results of what you created even if it has default setting different than your previous browser.

You must provide more information if you expect to get useful information because as other pointed out what browser you are using on your computer has absoutely nothing to do with EW's saving or publishing files. You might as well say that someone told you Adobe Flash Player's security model has changed so therefore it must be preventing EW from doing what you want.

The error message you are receiving is a bog standard security alert. Typcially it means that your user account doesn't have permission to write on the drive. If you were trying to save files opened from a DVD or CD back to the disk this is the message you would get because typically those are write only media so the file is tagged read only. We tend to see that from people who are using disks for back-up or to move between computers. This leads me to believe it has to do with your user account. Particularly if you were using XP previously and working there as an admin while you may be explicitly an admin in the same sense on your new computer.  That would be an OS issue not an EW issue.

Finally, if your copy of EW 3 is a retail copy - full or upgrade doesn't matter, you are entitled to a free upgrade to EW 4 which can be installed side by site. Many bugs in EW 3 were fixed along with the addtion of SuperPreveiw and a much improved customization options as well code snippet management. I'd suggest downloading the trial of EW 4 which should activate easily when it sees your existing EW 3 install.

Free Expression Web Tutorials
    For an Expression Web forum with without the posting issues try expressionwebforum.com

• Marked as answer by RH1dapw Friday, October 12, 2012 2:07 AM
    Tuesday, September 18, 2012 2:24 PM
  • Cheryl D.;

You have provided me with some good info.  Especially in your 1st paragraph.  I guess I will have to go back to the old computer, hook up the external hard drive and load the data to see what we did to the "site" as you mentioned.  When we started this, I had a tech do some of the initial work and may have overlooked some of this critical setup info when I load EW on the new computer.  I would guess that if I setup the new program like it was on the old computer then everything should work the same.  While I'm there I might as well go ahead and make the changes and save them to the external hard drive and then I could upload them and then look at downloading the EW 4 as mentioned by you and the other gentleman.

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 3:37 PM