none
tds protocol - knowing if connection comes from db link, or standard client RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all.

I would like to know if tds protocol gives indications about the connection source.

I would like to know if a request comes from regular client, or from a request from linked server.

Sunday, April 7, 2013 1:54 PM

Answers

• Hello yoyo le magnifique,

Section 2.2.6.3 in MS-TDS specification describes OptionFlags2 in LOGIN7 structure as shown below.  If the field fUserType is set to 2, the connection request is from a linked server. DQ stands for distributed query. We will update the specification in a future release to clarify this.

fUserType: The type of user connecting to the server.

0 = USER_NORMAL—regular logins

1 = USER_SERVER—reserved

2 = USER_REMUSER—DQ login

3 = USER_SQLREPL—replication login

Thursday, April 11, 2013 1:39 PM

All replies

• Hi, thank you for your question. A member of the protocol documentation team will respond to you soon.

Josh Curry (jcurry) | Escalation Engineer | Open Specifications Support Team

Sunday, April 7, 2013 10:03 PM
  • Hello yoyo le magnifique, I am the engineer who will be working with you on this issue. I am currently researching the problem and will provide you with an update soon. Thank you for your patience.

Regards,
    Sreekanth Nadendla
    Microsoft Windows Open specifications

Monday, April 8, 2013 2:35 PM
  • Hello yoyo le magnifique,

Section 2.2.6.3 in MS-TDS specification describes OptionFlags2 in LOGIN7 structure as shown below.  If the field fUserType is set to 2, the connection request is from a linked server. DQ stands for distributed query. We will update the specification in a future release to clarify this.

fUserType: The type of user connecting to the server.

0 = USER_NORMAL—regular logins

1 = USER_SERVER—reserved

2 = USER_REMUSER—DQ login

3 = USER_SQLREPL—replication login

Thursday, April 11, 2013 1:39 PM