none
Access FE with Sharepoint Tables as Back End - How can I prevent users from accessing the sharepoint tables directly? RRS feed

• Question

• Access FE with Sharepoint Tables as Back End - How can I prevent users from accessing the sharepoint tables directly?  I have a nonprofit client where Access FE with Sharepoint tables as the BE would be a good fit except for security.  As far as I know, any user with permissions to update the sharepoint tables via the Access FE would have permissions to access the Sharepoint site and directly browse/edit the tables - right?  And, when connecting to the sharepoint Be for the first time, the authentication shows the sharepoint site where the user enters the ID and password.  As far as I know , this has to be done by each user of the Access FE - right?  And of course, once the user knows the sharepoint name, it is easy to create a new Access accdb and link tables to the sharepoint site, then the user can easily do anything.

Am I messing anything?

Do users who use sharepoint tables as a BE to an Access FE just rely on user ignorance for security?

Bob

Bob Alston

Wednesday, August 26, 2015 11:17 PM

Answers

• Hi Bob,

>> As far as I know, any user with permissions to update the sharepoint tables via the Access FE would have permissions to access the Sharepoint site and directly browse/edit the tables - right?<<

Yes, if we have the permission that update the SharePoint list in Access fornt end then we also could login the SharePoint to change the list directly. Because the pemission checking is always on the data source(SharePoint).

Since Access 2013 features a new application model that enables subject matter experts to quickly create web-based applications. Included with Access are a set of templates that you can use to jump start creating your application.

I suggest that you create an Access 2013 web app as a workaround. It is more easy to develop and deploy and it will store the data on the SQL server on Azure. You can get more detail about it from link below:
    How to: Create and customize a web app in Access 2013

Hope it is helpful.

Regards & Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, August 27, 2015 7:22 AM