none
COM Exception while trying to install from Remote Windows server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Currently I am working on .net project which is desktop application trying to install msi using COM and custom DLL. Now when I am trying to install the com dll why Activator.CreateInstance(remoteComType) return null from remote server (windows 2008), hence could not proceed further . Please find below code snippet, and more surprisingly it is not happening every time, only few occassion it has occured. Need help urgently.

Type remoteComType = Type.GetTypeFromProgID("AutoInstaller.Conduit.InstallerAgent", serverFullName, true);

server = Activator.CreateInstance(remoteComType);

actualType = server.GetType(); //here the real object type is returned

Thursday, June 13, 2013 10:04 PM

All replies

• Hi Barun,

Welcome to the MSDN Forum.

Would you like to find a solid way to reproduce this scenario?

You can compare the situation when it work and it doesn't work to get the difference.

Best regards,

Mike Feng
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, June 17, 2013 1:00 AM
  • Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply.

Actually I was also trying to find out the difference. Initially I though it would a permission issue (as the user should have admin priviledge to install the COM), but when I compare both the servers (at one of the server COM installed successfully, but in another server it would not) then I didn't see any difference in group policy, environments, permission/ priveledges, so litterally I am stumped here. I have no clue why this is behaving like this. I ran the same program few other servers when it ran successfully, but sometime it has been observerd that 5 out 100 installtaion it became failed, don't have any clue why this happening. If you have checklist then please provide the same so that I can chek those parameters in those servers. Thanks in advance.

Thanks & Regards

Barun Kumar Mallick

Monday, June 17, 2013 8:05 AM