EWF can corrupt the folder in "C" drive? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have added the package "winemb-enhanced-write-filter.cab" and enabled the EWF in the OS image and my target PC is touch screen module (30GB SSD). I have used the command "ewfmgr.exe C: -enable" to enable the EWF.

But in the Unattend.xml file used for creating OS image, the "Windows Boot Environment" is selected instead of "Embedded EWF Boot Environment".

After multiple OS installations, the C:\Temp folder is inaccessible (getting "The folder C:\Temp is inaccessible" error when try to open the folder), this error was seen in only 4 times out of say around 90 OS installations.

Question1: Is the above issue caused by the incorrect Boot environment selected? I am trying to figure out the issue and relate this error with EWF.

Question2: What is the impact on the system if the wrong boot environment is selected for EWF feature?

Question3: How do I check whether the EWF is enabled and it is working fine or not?

Appreciate your help!

Thanks in advance!

Thursday, May 19, 2016 3:09 PM

All replies

• You need the Enhanced Boot Environment package when using EWF. You will have to go back to ICE and replace the boot environment package. EWF will not operate correctly if the wrong boot environment is in the image.

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide SIM (WEI), Pro Guide to WE8S & WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Friday, May 20, 2016 10:54 AM
  • Another possible reason might be a problem where EWF passes TRIM commands to the storage media (TRIM is sent by O/S to tell a specific data area will not be used any more, and the media will erase the area; this is intended to imprve performance).

There was and (optional!) Update which adresses the issue, another option is to disable TRIM commands via command fsutil behavior set DisableDeleteNotify 1.

Friday, May 20, 2016 1:19 PM
  • thanks for the reply.

is there any way to figure out the C:\temp got corrupted due to incorrect EWF boot environment?

Monday, May 23, 2016 9:59 AM