Modifying related objects inside InsertT_ of DataClassesDataContext RRS feed

• Question

• User2014418618 posted

Hi,

I've this (not unthinkable?) scenario in which when inserting a new object into database, amount of another related object should be changed also (think material - product relationship). Product and material are bound by a foreign-key field in DB. I used to have this in the code:

instance.Material.AmountAvailable -= instance.MaterialAmountUsed
    ExecuteDynamicUpdate(instance.Material)
    ExecuteDynamicInsert(instance) 

Since then - via exceptions (LINQ creating empty UPDATE clauses causing invalid syntax) and some online reading I have learned that inside Insert/Update partial methods it's only possible to work with object instance directly in question, not others (ExecuteDynamicUpdate is problematic in code above).

I need to update amount of related object, but I cannot seem to find a way to do it - since it's related to current object I cannot do update via another DataClassesDataContext.

What I'm thinking of right now is implementing this piece of business logic as triggers on database, but I'd prefer to keep it all in .NET code - is there a way?

Monday, September 29, 2008 11:08 AM

All replies

• User-330204900 posted

Hi qualiarunner, your best bet it Business Logic as you thought or SPROC to do your insert. [:D]

Monday, September 29, 2008 1:07 PM