Using Hostmonster, Apache, question about MIME type RRS feed

• Question

•  Hi,

I'm using Hostmonster.com shared web hosting package and they use Apache web server, everything appears to be running smoothly but I have a question about MIME type for silverlight....

I created a basic "hello world" app and put it on my main site and it worked, just uploaded the .html file and the .xap file, seems to work despite many sources stating that a certain MIME type needs to exist first.

Many sources say that you need to associate the file extension .xap with the MIME type called... application/x-silverlight-app

There seems to be an easy way to add MIME types inside hostmonster Cpanel -> Advanced -> MIME types

Even though it's working fine for me, I noticed that the MIME wasn't listed so I added it manually anyways.

Any thoughts from anyone about what or why this MIME type is supposedly needed for silverlight applications to work properly?????

Ricky,

Wednesday, January 7, 2009 10:11 PM

Answers

• Most of the talk that I've seen has been about IIS configuration for Silverlight hosting; I would guess that Apache probably has different default settings for how to serve file types if a MIME type isn't registered.

Wednesday, January 7, 2009 11:45 PM

All replies

• Most of the talk that I've seen has been about IIS configuration for Silverlight hosting; I would guess that Apache probably has different default settings for how to serve file types if a MIME type isn't registered.

Wednesday, January 7, 2009 11:45 PM
  •  Yes, the books i'm reading are for IIS, however yes they do mention that for Apache the same needs to be done.  My question is actually more along the lines of why is it needed I guess :/

Wednesday, January 7, 2009 11:55 PM