Expression Studio 2 Fatal Error...There is a removal tool? RRS feed

• Question

• I downloaded yesterday the trial of Expression Studio 2 but it says \\ \"fatal error \\\". Any product I try to install the installation terminates with the message \\ \"Fatal Error \\\". \r\n I removed OffScrub07 XWEB, then I completely removed Office 2007, also used the Windows Installer Clean up utility but the result is always the same. The only solution, perhaps, would be a tool that removes all traces of Expression Studio 2. What can I do?
    Thanks!
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 2:15 PM

All replies

• If the Windows Installer Clean up utility didn't work you might have to remove it manually. I even had to go through the registery and remove references to Expression. Before you tackle that, though, I'd wait for Will to come by and offer a solution. Will is the Expression Support Engineer.

Annie
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 11:20 PM
  • On secone thought, did you have the Windows Clean Up utility installed before you installed Expression 2? If not, you might try and install Expression 2 again and then try to remove it with the Cleanup utility.
    Annie
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 11:21 PM
  • I found the problem ... The . Net Framework 3.0 installation does not start and has huge problems ... The error codes are 1252 and then 1864 if the injection solution to the error 1252, namely that I must change the permissions to ServiceModel 3.0.0.0 in the log with "everyone "...
    Try utility Dotnet Framework cleanup could solve the problem? The installation of the. Net Framework 3.0, for now, just gave me error codes 1252 and 1864.
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 7:11 AM
  • I would uninstall the framework and re-install it. There's a newer version you might try; .NET Framework 3.5.

Ler me know if that works for you. If not, Will should be along to help. He's our Support Engineer.
    Annie
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 11:21 PM
  • ExClod, removal of Framework 3.0 is going to depend on your operating system. If you have Vista then you willl have to remove Framework 3.0 from the Control Panel > Programs and Features > Turn Windows Features on or off (which is typically on the left side of the screen when you bring up the installed programs list).

When you click the link it should open the "Turn Windows Features on or off" window. Find the .NET Framework 3.0 in the list and clear the check box. The screenshot below is from Windows 7 64-bit. For Windows Vista this list will contain .NET Framework 3.0.  

If you're running Windows XP then you can still remove Framework 3.0 or 3.5 from "Add or Remove Programs" in the Control Panel. I would not recommend using the Framework 3.0 cleanup tool on Windows Vista, or using the Framework 3.5 cleanup tool on Windows 7 since Framework 3.0 and 3.5 are part of the operating systems, respectively.

You can use the Framework cleanup tool 3.0 and 3.5 on Windows XP with no problem.

Will Buffington
    Microsoft Expression Support
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 3:15 PM
  • looking for on MSDN media and networking, I found the cause of the problem. Attempting to install any framework (1.0,2.0,3, .0 or 3.5) and its service pack I received many errors and no installation was performed.I discovered and settled the problems of WMI, I found the registry keys that could affect the component ServiceModelReg.exe that prevented me from performing these installations. Net Framework and now I have the problem that many service pack install themselves but say "Installation Complete" and I get an error at the same time.
    Barely. Net Framework 2.0 SP1 installation part tells me "Error installing". I downloaded and tried many tools, information ... The error relates to a \". NET Framework 2.0 language pack agile\" and so far I have not solved the problem ... I have Windows XP SP3.I need to find a tool from Microsoft that could erase all traces of the Framework, Visual Studio, Expression, as if the computer had just been formatted ... or find a list of registry keys complete product to manually remove everything and start from scratch .
    Sorry if I went off topic ...
    Friday, August 28, 2009 1:56 PM
  • The .NET Framework removal tool will help with the Framework removals. Here's the link to Aaron Stebner's Framework Removal tool on Windows Live Skydrive:

http://cid-27e6a35d1a492af7.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Blog_Tools/dotnetfx_cleanup_tool.zip?wa=wsignin1.0&sa=17797669

As for Visual Studio, your best bet is to remove it from "Add or Remove Programs" in the Control Panel. Remember, the Framework is separate from Visual Studio and Expression Design, Expression Web, Expression Encoder, etc. The .NET Framework is just a pre-requisite for using those programs. So removal from Add/Remove programs should work okay. Have you tried the Windows Installer Cleanup utility?

Will Buffington

Friday, August 28, 2009 4:47 PM

• I solved the problems related to Visual Studio, Office 2007 and the Framework but as soon as I start the installation of Expression Design 2 trial, there is a fatal error ...I have Windows XP SP3. 
    There is something to erase all traces of products Expression Studio 2?
    Saturday, August 29, 2009 3:34 PM
  • I installed Expression Studio 3 to try to understand whether the problem was isolated to version 2 or not ...The installation of Expression 3 has been correctly without any problem.
    On closer observation the installation of Expression Studio 2 suite, stops at the point where the deal must register or license. In fact the last time I open Expression Design 2 I had come a window where it said that there were problems with the licenses and then the program closes.I already tried all the utilities, Windows Installer Clean Up does not show any voice because I already removed, the other solutions have tried but not work.
    I have to somehow remove everything about Expression Studio 2 Licensing ... remained something somewhere that sends in "fatal error" installing Blend 2 and Design 2. Expression Web 2 instead be installed correctly ... How do I delete everything that concerns Expression Studio 2 from my computer? (Without formatting)
    Sunday, August 30, 2009 6:08 PM
  • ExClod,

You said there was an error where it said there was a problem with the licenses - what is the exact text of that error and which Expression product are you trying to install when you get that error? Cleaning all traces of Expression Studio 2 may not resolve the problem if you have a corrupt license store on the machine.

Will Buffington
    Monday, August 31, 2009 11:19 PM
  • This is the exact text of the installation logs of Expression Studio 2:

13:17:49 Tuesday, September 1, 2009: Information: Config_Products_InstallNew Start installing new product: Microsoft Expression Design 2

13:17:49 Tuesday, September 1, 2009: Information: Config_Products_InstallNew: Product: Microsoft Expression Design 2 parameters: E: \\ Setup \\ Design_it.msi ADDLOCAL = ALL ARPNOMODIFY = \"1\" PRC_DEPENDENTPRODUCTIDS = \"ExpressionStudio_2.0.133.0\" PRC_DEPENDENTPRODUCTNAMES = \"Microsoft Expression Studio 2 \"INSTALLLOCATION =\" C: \\ Microsoft Expression \"REBOOT = ReallySuppress SETUPSOURCEDIR =\" E: \\ Setup \"SourceDir =\" E: \\ Setup \"

13:18:04 Tuesday, September 1, 2009: Error: Config_Products_Install: Installation Product Microsoft Expression Design 2 (failed): Fatal error during installation. Stack: in Microsoft.WindowsInstaller.Installer.InstallProduct (packagePath String, String commandLine) in XSetup.MsiPackage.ConfigureNewInstall (Product product)

13:18:04 Tuesday, September 1, 2009: Information: Config_Products_InstallNew End installing new product: Microsoft Expression Design 2

13:18:04 Tuesday, September 1, 2009: Error: Config_Products_Install: Installation Product Microsoft Expression Design 2 (failed): Installation of the product \"Microsoft Expression Design 2\" has returned the following error: Fatal error during installation .. Stack: in XSetup.MsiPackage.ConfigureNewInstall (Product product) in XSetup.Product.ConfigureNewProduct ()

13:18:04 Tuesday, September 1, 2009: Information: Config_Products_InstallNew End installing new product: Microsoft Expression Design 2

13:18:04 Tuesday, September 1, 2009: Information: Planned release notes premises 'http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=3D114828'.

13:18:37 Tuesday, September 1, 2009: Error: XSetup_DoTasks:: The installation of the product "Microsoft Expression Design 2" has returned the following error: The installation of the product \"Microsoft Expression Design 2\" has returned the following error: Error Fatal error during installation ... Stack: in XSetup.XSetupSession.OnDoTasksThreadDoWork (Object sender, DoWorkEventArgs s)

13:18:37 Tuesday, September 1, 2009: Error: The installation of the product \"Microsoft Expression Design 2\" has returned the following error: The installation of the product \"Microsoft Expression Design 2\" has returned the following error: Fatal error during 'install ...

13:18:37 Tuesday, September 1, 2009: Info: End of session setup

13:18:37 Tuesday, September 1, 2009: Error: XSetup_DoTasks:: The installation of the product \"Microsoft Expression Design 2\" has returned the following error: The installation of the product \"Microsoft Expression Design 2\" has returned the following error: Error Fatal error during installation ... Stack: in XSetup.XSetupSession.OnDoTasksThreadDoWork (Object sender, DoWorkEventArgs e) System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.OnDoWork (DoWorkEventArgs e) System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.WorkerThreadStart (Object argument)

I tried to install Design 2 alone, taking only the trial version of the product but I get the same error logs.

Without the usual screen, but seeing the normal windows yellow gray, after copying the new files at the time of registration and licensing back, and then tells me that the system was left intact without any changes.
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 1:23 PM
  • In that error log, go to the very top and do a search for "Return Value 3" without the quotes. If it finds something, copy and paste about 10 lines above and 10 lines below into a response here. That above info is good, but the Return Value 3 message will tell me exactly at what point in the install this is failing.

Will
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 6:21 PM
  • 1: sxsdelca 2: traceop 3: 1284 4: 259
    1: sxsdelca 2: SxsMsmInstall completed 3: 0 4: 0
    End operation 13.17.51: SxsInstallCA. Return Value 1.
    Start operation 13.17.51: AllocateRegistrySpace.
    End operation 13.17.51: AllocateRegistrySpace. Return Value 1.
    Start operation 13.17.51: ProcessComponents.
    End operation 13.17.51: ProcessComponents. Return Value 1.
    Start operation 13.17.51: MsiUnpublishAssemblies.
    End operation 13.17.51: MsiUnpublishAssemblies. Return Value 1.
    Start operation 13.17.51: UnpublishFeatures.
    End operation 13.17.51: UnpublishFeatures. Return Value 1.
    Start operation 13.17.51: RemoveRegistryValues.
    End operation 13.17.51: RemoveRegistryValues. Return Value 1.
    Start operation 13.17.51: RemoveShortcuts.
    End operation 13.17.51: RemoveShortcuts. Return Value 1.
    Start operation 13.17.51: RemoveFiles.
    End operation 13.17.51: RemoveFiles. Return Value 1.
    Start operation 13.17.51: RemoveFolders.
    End operation 13.17.51: RemoveFolders. Return Value 1.
    Start operation 13.17.51: CreateFolders.
    End operation 13.17.51: CreateFolders. Return Value 1.
    Start operation 13.17.51: ScheduleLicenseInstallation.
    End operation 13.17.51: ScheduleLicenseInstallation. Return Value 1.
    Start operation 13.17.51: ScheduleProofOfPurchaseInstallation.
    End operation 13.17.51: ScheduleProofOfPurchaseInstallation. Return Value 1.
    Start operation 13.17.51: NetFxScheduleNativeImage.
    End operation 13.17.51: NetFxScheduleNativeImage. Return Value 1.
    Start operation 13.17.51: InstallFiles.
    End operation 13.17.51: InstallFiles. Return Value 1.
    Start operation 13.17.51: CreateShortcuts.
    End operation 13.17.51: CreateShortcuts. Return Value 1.
    Start operation 13.17.51: WriteRegistryValues.
    End operation 13.17.51: WriteRegistryValues. Return Value 1.
    Start operation 13.17.51: RegisterUser.
    End operation 13.17.51: RegisterUser. Return Value 1.
    Start operation 13.17.51: RegisterProduct.
    End operation 13.17.51: RegisterProduct. Return Value 1.
    Start operation 13.17.51: MsiPublishAssemblies.
    End operation 13.17.51: MsiPublishAssemblies. Return Value 1.
    Start operation 13.17.51: NetFxExecuteNativeImageCommitUninstall.
    End operation 13.17.51: NetFxExecuteNativeImageCommitUninstall. Valore restituito 1.
    Start operation 13.17.51: NetFxExecuteNativeImageCommitInstall.
    End operation 13.17.51: NetFxExecuteNativeImageCommitInstall. Valore restituito 1.
    Start operation 13.17.51: InstallLicenses.
    End operation 13.17.51: InstallLicenses. Return Value 1.
    Start operation 13.17.51: InstallProofOfPurchase.
    End operation 13.17.51: InstallProofOfPurchase. Return Value 1.
    Start operation 13.17.51: InstallDirectX.
    End operation 13.17.51: InstallDirectX. Return Value 1.
    Start operation 13.17.51: PublishFeatures.
    End operation 13.17.51: PublishFeatures. Return Value 1.
    Start operation 13.17.51: PublishProduct.
    End operation 13.17.51: PublishProduct. Return Value 1.
    Start operation 13.17.51: InstallFinalize.
    1: InstallLicenses: ERROR: Failed to initialize SLDL. HRESULT: C004D301
    1: InstallLicenses: ERROR: Failed to close SLDL. HRESULT: 80070057
    End operation 13.18.02: InstallFinalize. Return Value 3.
    End operation 13.18.04: INSTALL. Return Value 3.

Property(S): InstallMode = Typical
    Property(S): UpgradeCode = {86D3AC8B-F9CA-4711-AF19-1461B6C238C5}
    Property(S): NetFxExecuteNativeImageCommitInstall = C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\ngen.exe install "C:\Microsoft Expression\Design 2\Microsoft.Expression.Design.dll" /queue:3 /NoDependencies€500€C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\ngen.exe install "C:\Microsoft Expression\Design 2\Microsoft.Expression.Design.UserInterface.dll" /queue:3 /NoDependencies€500€C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\ngen.exe install "C:\Microsoft Expression\Design 2\Microsoft.Expression.Interop.dll" /queue:3 /NoDependencies€500€C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\ngen.exe install "C:\Microsoft Expression\Design 2\Microsoft.Expression.Licensing.dll" /queue:3 /NoDependencies€500€C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\ngen.exe install "C:\Microsoft Expression\Design 2\Microsoft.Expression.Diagnostics.dll" /queue:3 /NoDependencies€500€C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\ngen.exe install "C:\Microsoft Expression\Design 2\Microsoft.Expression.Framework.dll" /queue:3 /NoDependencies€500€C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\ngen.exe install "C:\Microsoft Expression\Design 2\Microsoft.Windows.Design.dll" /queue:3 /NoDependencies€500€C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\ngen.exe install "C:\Microsoft Expression\Design 2\Design.exe" /queue:3€500€C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\ngen.exe update /queue€500
    Property(S): NetFxExecuteNativeImageInstall = C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\ngen.exe install "C:\Microsoft Expression\Design 2\Microsoft.Expression.Design.dll" /queue:3 /NoDependencies€500€C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\ngen.exe install "C:\Microsoft Expression\Design 2\Microsoft.Expression.Design.UserInterface.dll" /queue:3 /NoDependencies€500€C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\ngen.exe install "C:\Microsoft Expression\Design 2\Microsoft.Expression.Interop.dll" /queue:3 /NoDependencies€500€C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\ngen.exe install "C:\Microsoft Expression\Design 2\Microsoft.Expression.Licensing.dll" /queue:3 /NoDependencies€500€C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\ngen.exe install "C:\Microsoft Expression\Design 2\Microsoft.Expression.Diagnostics.dll" /queue:3 /NoDependencies€500€C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\ngen.exe install "C:\Microsoft Expression\Design 2\Microsoft.Expression.Framework.dll" /queue:3 /NoDependencies€500€C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\ngen.exe install "C:\Microsoft Expression\Design 2\Microsoft.Windows.Design.dll" /queue:3 /NoDependencies€500€C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\ngen.exe install "C:\Microsoft Expression\Design 2\Design.exe" /queue:3€500€C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\ngen.exe update /queue€500
    Property(S): InstallLicenses = C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Dati applicazioni\Microsoft\Expression\Licenses\DesignV2\
    Property(S): InstallProofOfPurchase = false;d42a6360-e7c4-4958-86fa-b830a44c701a;8d919cd1-d907-4d29-8302-455af51234d8;SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Expression\Design\d42a6360-e7c4-4958-86fa-b830a44c701a;00104;YBMHQ-M3RWK-K36MW-HQH96-WC7DW
    Property(S): NETFX30VERSION = 3.2.30729
    Property(S): NETFX35VERSION = 3.5.30729.01
    Property(S): ExpressionProgramMenuFolder = C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Menu Avvio\Programmi\Microsoft Expression\
    Property(S): INSTALLLOCATION = C:\Microsoft Expression\
    Property(S): ApplicationInstallDir = C:\Microsoft Expression\Design 2\
    Property(S): AcrylicSamplesDir = C:\Microsoft Expression\Design 2\Samples\
    Property(S): AcrylicTutorialsDir = C:\Microsoft Expression\Design 2\Tutorials\
    Property(S): AcrylicPSIetcDir = C:\Microsoft Expression\Design 2\PSI\
    Property(S): AcrylicPSIetcEncodingDir = C:\Microsoft Expression\Design 2\PSI\Encoding\
    Property(S): AcrylicPSIetcTmpDir = C:\Microsoft Expression\Design 2\PSI\Tmp\
    Property(S): AcrylicLocDir.en = C:\Microsoft Expression\Design 2\en\
    Property(S): AcrylicLocSwatchesDir.en = C:\Microsoft Expression\Design 2\en\Swatches\
    Property(S): AcrylicTexturesDir = C:\Microsoft Expression\Design 2\Textures\
    Property(S): AcrylicStrokesDir = C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Dati applicazioni\Microsoft\Expression\Design\Strokes\
    Property(S): AcrylicAcrylicStrokesDir = C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Dati applicazioni\Microsoft\Expression\Design\Strokes\Acrylic\
    Property(S): AcrylicDesignElementStrokes1Dir = C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Dati applicazioni\Microsoft\Expression\Design\Strokes\Design Elements 1\
    Property(S): AcrylicDesignElementStrokes2Dir = C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Dati applicazioni\Microsoft\Expression\Design\Strokes\Design Elements 2\
    Property(S): AcrylicDryMediumStrokesDir = C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Dati applicazioni\Microsoft\Expression\Design\Strokes\Dry Medium\
    Property(S): AcrylicGraphicStrokesDir = C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Dati applicazioni\Microsoft\Expression\Design\Strokes\Graphics\
    Property(S): AcrylicInkStrokesDir = C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Dati applicazioni\Microsoft\Expression\Design\Strokes\Ink\
    Property(S): AcrylicOilStrokesDir = C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Dati applicazioni\Microsoft\Expression\Design\Strokes\Oils\
    Property(S): AcrylicPaletteStrokesDir = C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Dati applicazioni\Microsoft\Expression\Design\Strokes\Palette\
    Property(S): AcrylicPhotoStrokesDir = C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Dati applicazioni\Microsoft\Expression\Design\Strokes\Photos\
    Property(S): AcrylicPointerStrokesDir = C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Dati applicazioni\Microsoft\Expression\Design\Strokes\Pointers\
    Property(S): AcrylicWaterStrokesDir = C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Dati applicazioni\Microsoft\Expression\Design\Strokes\Watercolors\
    Property(S): AcrylicImagesDir = C:\Microsoft Expression\Design 2\Images\
    Property(S): TARGETDIR = N:\
    Property(S): ExpressionCommonFontFolder = C:\Microsoft Expression\Common\Fonts\
    Property(S): DesignTrialLicenseFolder = C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Dati applicazioni\Microsoft\Expression\Licenses\DesignV2\DesignTrial\
    Property(S): DesignVolumeLicenseFolder = C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Dati applicazioni\Microsoft\Expression\Licenses\DesignV2\DesignVolume\
    Property(S): StudioVolumeLicenseFolder = C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Dati applicazioni\Microsoft\Expression\Licenses\DesignV2\StudioVolume\
    Property(S): StudioFppLicenseFolder = C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Dati applicazioni\Microsoft\Expression\Licenses\DesignV2\StudioFpp\
    Property(S): StudioDreamSparkLicenseFolder = C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Dati applicazioni\Microsoft\Expression\Licenses\DesignV2\StudioDreamSpark\
    Property(S): SetupDir = C:\Microsoft Expression\Design 2\Setup\
    Property(S): ARPNOMODIFY = 1
    Property(S): Setup_it_ResourceDir = C:\Microsoft Expression\Design 2\Setup\it\
    Property(S): AcrylicLocDir.it = C:\Microsoft Expression\Design 2\it\
    Property(S): AcrylicLocSwatchesDir.it = C:\Microsoft Expression\Design 2\it\Swatches\
    Property(S): IAgree = No
    Property(S): BannerBitmap = SetupBanner
    Property(S): ShutdownOption = 1
    Property(S): CommonAppDataFolder_Design = C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Dati applicazioni\Microsoft\Expression\Design\
    Property(S): ARPINSTALLLOCATION = C:\Microsoft Expression\
    Property(S): ExpressionCommonFolder = C:\Microsoft Expression\Common\
    Property(S): ProgramFilesFolder = C:\Programmi\
    Property(S): ProgramMenuFolder = C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Menu Avvio\Programmi\
    Property(S): ExpressionLicenseFolder = C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Dati applicazioni\Microsoft\Expression\Licenses\
    Property(S): ExpressionDataFolder = C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Dati applicazioni\Microsoft\Expression\
    Property(S): MicrosoftFolder = C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Dati applicazioni\Microsoft\
    Property(S): CommonAppDataFolder = C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Dati applicazioni\
    Property(S): SourceDir = E:\Setup\
    Property(S): AcrylicFringesDir = C:\Microsoft Expression\Design 2\Textures\Fringes\
    Property(S): AcrylicStylesDir = C:\Microsoft Expression\Design 2\Styles\
    Property(S): AcrylicColorBrushesDir = C:\Microsoft Expression\Design 2\Brushes\Color\
    Property(S): AcrylicBrushesDir = C:\Microsoft Expression\Design 2\Brushes\
    Property(S): AcrylicDryBrushesDir = C:\Microsoft Expression\Design 2\Brushes\Dry\
    Property(S): AcrylicGraphicBrushesDir = C:\Microsoft Expression\Design 2\Brushes\Graphic\
    Property(S): AcrylicInkBrushesDir = C:\Microsoft Expression\Design 2\Brushes\Inks\
    Property(S): AcrylicNaturalBrushesDir = C:\Microsoft Expression\Design 2\Brushes\Natural\
    Property(S): AcrylicPaintBrushesDir = C:\Microsoft Expression\Design 2\Brushes\Paint\
    Property(S): AcrylicTextureBrushesDir = C:\Microsoft Expression\Design 2\Brushes\Texture\
    Property(S): AcrylicEnvironmentMapsDir = C:\Microsoft Expression\Design 2\Images\Envmaps\
    Property(S): AcrylicSwatchesDir = C:\Microsoft Expression\Design 2\Swatches\
    Property(S): AcrylicVariableStrokesDir = C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Dati applicazioni\Microsoft\Expression\Design\Strokes\Variable Shapes\
    Property(S): ProductLicenseFolder = C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Dati applicazioni\Microsoft\Expression\Licenses\DesignV2\
    Property(S): Manufacturer = Microsoft Corporation
    Property(S): ProductCode = {D75AC9C3-55E8-4F10-A596-DB8842ADCE63}
    Property(S): ProductLanguage = 1040
    Property(S): ProductName = Microsoft Expression Design 2
    Property(S): ProductVersion = 5.0.1379.0
    Property(S): ARPURLINFOABOUT = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=75064
    Property(S): ARPHELPLINK = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=75064
    Property(S): ARPPRODUCTICON = Application
    Property(S): INSTALLLEVEL = 3
    Property(S): PROMPTROLLBACKCOST = P
    Property(S): ALLUSERS = 1
    Property(S): DISABLEADVTSHORTCUTS = 1
    Property(S): ProductShortName = Microsoft Expression Design
    Property(S): ExpectedNetFx30MinVersion = 3.0.04506.26
    Property(S): ExpectedNetFx35MinVersion = 3.5.21022.08
    Property(S): NetFxVersion = v2.0.50727

I have highlighted, however, the exact point where you experience the "return value 3". The problem, in my opinion, is in the license ... but it is strange because the program does not open and I've never done nothing that could interfere with the operation ...
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 7:05 PM
  • You are correct - the problem is a corrupt license store as we can see in the log:

End operation 13.18.02: InstallFinalize. Return Value 3.
    End operation 13.18.04: INSTALL. Return Value 3.

And I don't think you did anything to cause this problem to happen, as we've seen it happen on a large number of machines. There are two ways to proceed at this point:

1. Open a free support incident with Microsoft for setup of Expression Studio 2. I can help you with that - Please send me email at willbu@microsoft.com and I'll respond as to how we need to proceed to resolve this problem.

2. Format the hard drive and reinstall the operating system from scratch - which is an option I would personally never recommend to anyone unless they were planning on formatting the drive soon anyway. For this problem, format and reinstall will get the job done, but it's like using a cannon to kill a fly.

Will Buffington
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 9:38 PM
  • The problem is that if formatting can happen again ... and is the fourth time formatting your PC just because of Expression and its licenses that are corrupted ... understands that anger is much.For the time the work for I will make with a different product and free. I await the release of Windows 7 Ultimate to make the transition complete, hoping for good ... and use the new Expression Studio 3 which I have the trial version.With the hope that does not have this problem ...
    I take this opportunity to thank you for your willingness and time dedicated to me.

Regards
    ExClod

Thursday, September 3, 2009 5:15 PM
  • Formatting is not the only solution. There is another way to fix the problem, but it involves connecting to your machine remotely from mine or another Microsoft engineer's machine (which is something we support engineers do every day using Microsoft Easy Assist). We have a tool on our machine that can be run through the live connection to fix this problem.

Will Buffington
    Friday, September 4, 2009 10:00 PM
  • Given the extent of the problem, it would be better a Fixtool downloaded to the user to correct the problem ... I wanted to try the removal tool with a competing product worked and if there is a removal tool for Expression 2, I wanted to try use it up ... the problem remains ... anyway I tried the new operating system which I was pleased with the move then I will not just hit the market.
    Saturday, September 5, 2009 9:20 AM
  • I understand your concerns. This particular correction tool can't be distributed publicly, however, which is why we are required to do a remote connection to the users box and run it from here.

If you're still having the problem and want to get past it, let me know. You can email me directly at willbu@microsoft.com and I'll be happy to help.

Will Buffington
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 3:07 PM
  • I have a similar problem. Instead of upgrading from Vista to Windows 7 , I did a clean install (for other reasons).
    I tried to install Expression Studio 2. In the middle it blue screened. After that I cannot install Expression Studio:

Return Value 3 Lines are

Action start 23:24:12: NetFxExecuteNativeImageCommitInstall.
    Action ended 23:24:12: NetFxExecuteNativeImageCommitInstall. Return value 1.
    Action start 23:24:12: InstallLicenses.
    Action ended 23:24:12: InstallLicenses. Return value 1.
    Action start 23:24:12: InstallProofOfPurchase.
    Action ended 23:24:12: InstallProofOfPurchase. Return value 1.
    Action start 23:24:12: PublishFeatures.
    Action ended 23:24:12: PublishFeatures. Return value 1.
    Action start 23:24:12: PublishProduct.
    Action ended 23:24:12: PublishProduct. Return value 1.
    Action start 23:24:12: InstallFinalize.
    CustomAction InstallLicenses returned actual error code 1603 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)
    Action ended 23:24:23: InstallFinalize. Return value 3.
    Action ended 23:24:28: INSTALL. Return value 3.

Property(S): UpgradeCode = {AAADB852-08FE-4772-B73B-8C3F08C3BF33}
    Property(S): NetFxExecuteNativeImageCommitInstall = C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\ngen.exe install "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Expression\Encoder 2\Microsoft.Expression.Diagnostics.dll" /queue:3€500€C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\ngen.exe install "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Expression\Encoder 2\Microsoft.Expression.Framework.dll" /queue:3€500€C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\ngen.exe install "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Expression\Encoder 2\Microsoft.Windows.Design.dll" /queue:3 /NoDependencies€500€C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\ngen.exe install "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Expression\Encoder 2\Microsoft.Expression.Interop.dll" /queue:3 /NoDependencies€500€C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\ngen.exe install "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Expression\Encoder 2\Encoder.exe" /queue:3€500€C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\ngen.exe install "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Expression\Encoder 2\EncoderUI.exe" /queue:3 /NoDependencies€500€C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\ngen.exe install "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Expression\Encoder 2\EncoderCore.dll" /queue:3 /NoDependencies€500€C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\ngen.exe install "Microsoft.Expression.Encoder, Version=2.0.1406.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" /queue:3 /NoDependencies€500€C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\ngen.exe install "Microsoft.Expression.Encoder.Types, Version=2.0.1406.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" /queue:3 /NoDependencies€500€C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\ngen.exe install "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Expression\Encoder 2\Microsoft.Expression.Licensing.dll" /queue:3 /NoDependencies€500€C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\ngen.exe update /queue€500
    Property(S): NetFxExecuteNativeImageInstall = C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\ngen.exe install "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Expression\Encoder 2\Microsoft.Expression.Diagnostics.dll" /queue:3€500€C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\ngen.exe install "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Expression\Encoder 2\Microsoft.Expression.Framework.dll" /queue:3€500€C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\ngen.exe install "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Expression\Encoder 2\Microsoft.Windows.Design.dll" /queue:3 /NoDependencies€500€C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\ngen.exe install "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Expression\Encoder 2\Microsoft.Expression.Interop.dll" /queue:3 /NoDependencies€500€C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\ngen.exe install "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Expression\Encoder 2\Encoder.exe" /queue:3€500€C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\ngen.exe install "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Expression\Encoder 2\EncoderUI.exe" /queue:3 /NoDependencies€500€C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\ngen.exe install "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Expression\Encoder 2\EncoderCore.dll" /queue:3 /NoDependencies€500€C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\ngen.exe install "Microsoft.Expression.Encoder, Version=2.0.1406.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" /queue:3 /NoDependencies€500€C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\ngen.exe install "Microsoft.Expression.Encoder.Types, Version=2.0.1406.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" /queue:3 /NoDependencies€500€C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\ngen.exe install "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Expression\Encoder 2\Microsoft.Expression.Licensing.dll" /queue:3 /NoDependencies€500€C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\ngen.exe update /queue€500
    Property(S): InstallLicenses = C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Expression\Licenses\MdEncV2\
    Property(S): InstallProofOfPurchase = true;9158d23d-85d1-4932-bae7-810c325ddd9b;8d919cd1-d907-4d29-8302-455af51234d8;SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Expression\Encoder\9158d23d-85d1-4932-bae7-810c325ddd9b;00089;BRYJH-RJ6P9-3MJ39-QMR3G-DKCTP;37WYP-HHVJT-4BJ9R-4C7PB-76B2Y
    Property(S): NETFX35VERSION = 3.5.30729.4926

Any advice? I would be fine with providing remote access - since re-formatting is not an option for me at this point.

Thanks!

Afif Say

Friday, February 5, 2010 9:28 PM
  • I'm having a similar issue with Expression Studio 3. I have Windows XP SP 3. The installation for Expression fails with a fatal error message. Below are the "Return Value 3" lines from the log file.

Action start 13:48:40: RemoveRegistryValues.

Action ended 13:48:40: RemoveRegistryValues. Return value 1.

Action start 13:48:40: RemoveFiles.

Action ended 13:48:40: RemoveFiles. Return value 1.

Action start 13:48:40: NetFxScheduleNativeImage.

Action ended 13:48:41: NetFxScheduleNativeImage. Return value 1.

Action start 13:48:41: ScheduleLicenseInstallation.

Action ended 13:48:41: ScheduleLicenseInstallation. Return value 1.

Action start 13:48:41: ScheduleProofOfPurchaseInstallation.

Action ended 13:48:41: ScheduleProofOfPurchaseInstallation. Return value 1.

Action start 13:48:41: InstallFiles.

Action ended 13:48:41: InstallFiles. Return value 1.

Action start 13:48:41: WriteRegistryValues.

Action ended 13:48:41: WriteRegistryValues. Return value 1.

Action start 13:48:41: RegisterUser.

Action ended 13:48:41: RegisterUser. Return value 1.

Action start 13:48:41: RegisterProduct.

Action ended 13:48:41: RegisterProduct. Return value 1.

Action start 13:48:41: MsiPublishAssemblies.

Action ended 13:48:41: MsiPublishAssemblies. Return value 0.

Action start 13:48:41: InstallLicenses.

Action ended 13:48:41: InstallLicenses. Return value 1.

Action start 13:48:41: InstallProofOfPurchase.

Action ended 13:48:41: InstallProofOfPurchase. Return value 1.

Action start 13:48:41: NetFxExecuteNativeImageCommitUninstall.

Action ended 13:48:41: NetFxExecuteNativeImageCommitUninstall. Return value 1.

Action start 13:48:41: NetFxExecuteNativeImageCommitInstall.

Action ended 13:48:41: NetFxExecuteNativeImageCommitInstall. Return value 1.

Action start 13:48:41: PublishFeatures.

Action ended 13:48:41: PublishFeatures. Return value 1.

Action start 13:48:41: PublishProduct.

Action ended 13:48:41: PublishProduct. Return value 1.

Action start 13:48:41: InstallFinalize.

Action ended 13:48:44: InstallFinalize. Return value 3.

Action ended 13:48:45: INSTALL. Return value 3.

Property(S): UpgradeCode = {30538BA1-471F-418E-BD52-385729F924D1}

Property(S): NetFxExecuteNativeImageCommitInstall = C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\ngen.exe install "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Expression\Studio 3\Microsoft.Expression.Licensing.dll" /queue:3 /NoDependencies€500€C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\ngen.exe update /queue€500

Property(S): NetFxExecuteNativeImageInstall = C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\ngen.exe install "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Expression\Studio 3\Microsoft.Expression.Licensing.dll" /queue:3 /NoDependencies€500€C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\ngen.exe update /queue€500

Property(S): InstallLicenses = C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Expression\Licenses\StudioV3\

Property(S): InstallProofOfPurchase = **********

Property(S): NETFX35VERSION = 3.5.30729.01

Property(S): APPLICATIONINSTALLDIR = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Expression\Studio 3\

Property(S): ExpressionProgramMenuFolder = C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Microsoft Expression\

Property(S): INSTALLLOCATION = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Expression\

Property(S): TARGETDIR = C:\

Property(S): Studio.Licenses.V3.RTM.Folder = C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Expression\Licenses\StudioV3\Studio.V3.RTM\

Property(S): ARPNOMODIFY = 1

Property(S): ARPNOREPAIR = 1

Property(S): Setup_en_ResourceDir = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Expression\Studio 3\en\

Property(S): SetupDir = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Expression\Studio 3\Setup\

Property(S): IAgree = No

Property(S): BannerBitmap = SetupBanner

Property(S): ShutdownOption = 1

Property(S): ARPINSTALLLOCATION = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Expression\Studio 3\

Property(S): SETUPSOURCEDIR = E:\Setup

Property(S): ExpressionCommonFontFolder = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Expression\Common\Fonts\

Property(S): ExpressionCommonFolder = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Expression\Common\

Property(S): ExpressionCommonImagingFolder = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Expression\Common\Imaging\

Property(S): ProgramFilesFolder = C:\Program Files\

Property(S): ProgramMenuFolder = C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\

Property(S): ExpressionLicenseFolder = C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Expression\Licenses\

Property(S): ExpressionDataFolder = C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Expression\

Property(S): MicrosoftFolder = C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\

Property(S): CommonAppDataFolder = C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\

Property(S): SourceDir = E:\Setup\

Property(S): StudioTemplatesDir = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Expression\Studio 3\Templates\

Property(S): StudioProjectBuildTasksDir = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Expression\Studio 3\ProjectBuildTasks\

Property(S): StudioAppThemesDir = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Expression\Studio 3\AppThemes\

Property(S): StudioSystemThemesDir = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Expression\Studio 3\SystemThemes\

Property(S): StudioLicensesDir = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Expression\Studio 3\Licenses\

Property(S): StudioSamplesDir = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Expression\Studio 3\Samples\

Property(S): StudioLocDir.en = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Expression\Studio 3\en\

Property(S): ProductLicenseFolder = C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Expression\Licenses\StudioV3\

Property(S): Manufacturer = Microsoft Corporation

Property(S): ProductCode = {44F7BA74-C11A-49FC-B2FC-1B827C491F74}

Property(S): ProductLanguage = 1033

Property(S): ProductName = Microsoft Expression Studio 3

Property(S): ProductVersion = 3.0.1061.0

Property(S): ARPURLINFOABOUT = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=75064

I need this installed before Monday, as we have a training scheduled. Thanks for your help.

- Abel

Friday, May 14, 2010 7:29 PM