Cannot update ".." field not updatable RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I'm a new intern here at my job and completely new with Access, just learned the basics in the last 2 weeks.

Now I have a problem in my table.

Here is my field expression:

IIf([Publisher]="*X*";1;0)

So when the publisher is X I should get a 1 and when it's Y a 0.

Worked fine untill I had a product which was insert as Y and later I had to change it to X.

The field expression didn't change with it.

And whenever I want to update the field expression I get Cannot update ".." field not updatable..

Anyone who can help me with this and keep in mind my knowledge of access is small

Many Thanks!

Wednesday, March 19, 2014 10:33 AM

Answers

• This is one of the main reasons on why you should not have Column Dependencies - Avoid Calculations.

There is no need to save this information infact, all you need is to just have the Publisher information, and if you need the value 1 or 0, this can be easily done with Queries. If you want to show in Form, you can have an unbound control, having the same expression you have. Seriously does not need to be saved. Look at Allen Browne's take on Calculated fields - http://allenbrowne.com/casu-14.html

Happy to help ! When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answered

• Marked as answer by Marvin_Guo Wednesday, April 2, 2014 11:29 AM
    Wednesday, March 19, 2014 10:41 AM
  • You can use the Publisher AfterUpdate event on the Form, that is the last place where you can make this work for you. Again, the reason you provided is not a pushing need to store the value in the table !

Happy to help ! When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answered

Wednesday, March 19, 2014 12:43 PM

All replies

• This is one of the main reasons on why you should not have Column Dependencies - Avoid Calculations.

There is no need to save this information infact, all you need is to just have the Publisher information, and if you need the value 1 or 0, this can be easily done with Queries. If you want to show in Form, you can have an unbound control, having the same expression you have. Seriously does not need to be saved. Look at Allen Browne's take on Calculated fields - http://allenbrowne.com/casu-14.html

Wednesday, March 19, 2014 10:41 AM
  • I know I can get the publisher information from a querry. But the thing is, the database is very huge and I'm representing company X. The data from this access database is automatically linked to an excel file where it makes the weekly marketshare and top 20 products in graphs.

If the field expression isn't calculated, but categorized as (f.i. when X than Yes) Yes or No? Will this work in access? 

Wednesday, March 19, 2014 12:22 PM
  • You can use the Publisher AfterUpdate event on the Form, that is the last place where you can make this work for you. Again, the reason you provided is not a pushing need to store the value in the table !

Wednesday, March 19, 2014 12:43 PM