none
Import into MS Project 2010 Date automation RRS feed

• Question

• This issue appears to have come up since a client has upgraded to MS-Project 2010, I can replicate it on that version, and there doesn't seem to be an issue with previous MS-Project version. It doesn't appear to be specific to Windows versions.

So I have a routine (in Clarion 6.3), that opens MS-Project, and exports data one task at a time, in a loop involving:
    - Add Parent task, setting the Name,  Text1 and OutlineLevel fields.
    - Add a Child task (will be parent of the next task), setting Name, Text1 and OutlineLevel again.
    - Add a set of Child tasks,  setting Name, Text1, OutlineLevel, Task Start date, Task Finish date    (repeat adding the lower level Child tasks until they're done,  etc)

Adding the fields within Clarion is performed using field level equates, so  TaskName is 14, Text1 is 51, Start Date is 35, Finish Date is 36, and so on, the maximum documented in the development tool appears to be 113 for Task Resource Group - but the Project Interface was written some years ago.

So, the problem. When I run the routine, in Project 2010, the newly created task is given "Todays" start date, I set the Start Date I want (which may be in the past), but it appears to be ignored. A trace (that gets the value just set  in Start Date) shows that the Start Date is still set to "Today".

If I change the date manually, it sticks.

I can force a date into Start Date by setting Actual Start, but whereas previous versions of MS-Project then allowed me to clear the Actual Start by setting it to NA, this doesn't seem to work in MS-Project 2010.

I'm guessing that there may be a new setting I haven't found, or a new Start Date field that I'm not aware of, that I ought to be setting, but any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Thursday, February 9, 2012 4:43 PM

Answers

• In Project 2010 you will get quite different behavior depending on whether tasks are in manually or auto schedule mode. To duplicate 2007's behavior make sure Proejct 2010 defaults to new tasks in auto schedule mode (File, Options, Schedule.

If that is already set, then we can explore differences in default scheduling behavior between 2007 and 2010, but little point until you are in auto schedule mode!

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book Rod Gill Project Management

• Marked as answer by Cave_Painter Monday, February 13, 2012 4:34 PM
    Friday, February 10, 2012 9:22 PM

All replies

• In Project 2010 you will get quite different behavior depending on whether tasks are in manually or auto schedule mode. To duplicate 2007's behavior make sure Proejct 2010 defaults to new tasks in auto schedule mode (File, Options, Schedule.

If that is already set, then we can explore differences in default scheduling behavior between 2007 and 2010, but little point until you are in auto schedule mode!

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book Rod Gill Project Management

• Marked as answer by Cave_Painter Monday, February 13, 2012 4:34 PM
    Friday, February 10, 2012 9:22 PM
  • Thanks for that, after changing the New Tasks scheduling option I've now got the routine working again. 

Cheers,
     Steve.

Monday, February 13, 2012 4:34 PM