none
Azure Monitor alerts retention RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We monitor several app insights instances from a dedicated subscription and have configured some custom alerts and all is working well.

Within Azure Monitor we can access the alerts and change state, add comments to each as necessary. This is ideal for our scenario.

The problem I have is that it appears to only retain 30 days worth of the alerts so is there any way I can configure this to be higher e.g. 90 or 365 days.

TIA

Monday, June 17, 2019 11:04 AM

All replies

• Hello, Ceefla!  Thank you for using Application Insights.

I'm going to confirm this, but I don't believe there is any way to change the duration of your alert logs.  For now my recommendation would be to look at your telemetry data options (which you can post process similar to alerts):

Exporting your data

• Continuous export allows you to keep your telemetry for longer than the standard retention period (90 days).
      "Want to keep your telemetry for longer than the standard retention period? Or process it in some specialized way? Continuous Export is ideal for this. The events you see in the Application Insights portal can be exported to storage in Microsoft Azure in JSON format. From there you can download your data and write whatever code you need to process it."
    • The Export button at the top of a metrics or search blade lets you transfer tables and charts to an Excel spreadsheet.
    • You can export your results from Analytics.

Variable data retention (Preview)

"We are still taking requests for onboarding to the preview of Application Insights variable retention. Some features required to enable this via self-service are taking longer than expected, but we are still working it, and in the meantime will be glad to enable your Application Insights resource to have different retention settings.

The first iteration of this feature will allow setting retention up to 2 years in several increments for each Application Insights resource (e.g. not by data type). The pricing for this will follow the same Azure Monitor log data retention pricing as used by Log Analytics.

We will be able to onboard a limited number of customers manually in the coming weeks. If you’re interested, please send me (dalek@microsoft.com) the instrumentation key(s) of your Application Insights resource(s), and the desired retention duration (30, 60, 120, 180, 270, 365, 550 or 730 days)."

https://feedback.azure.com/forums/357324-application-insights/suggestions/17454031

Monday, June 17, 2019 10:05 PM
  • Thanks! I could not see any functionality in the UI or documentation to extend the log alerts > 30 days but if you were able to confirm that would be great.

Thanks also for flagging the new variable retention feature of app insights - I can see that being useful.

Tuesday, June 18, 2019 9:16 AM
  • Ceefla,

Unfortunately, at this point it doesn't look like there is any way to change the duration of alerts (as they are stored in a separate database).  Some of the alert information is written to the Activity Log, which is around for 90 days and can be exported into Log Analytics, but this doesn't sound like it would help you in your scenario.

The two recommendations are this:

First, submit feedback so that the product groups responsible for Application Insights can see your request:

https://feedback.azure.com/forums/357324-application-insights

Second (and I realize this is not ideal), you can export your data as described above.

I know that isn't the answer you were after, but hopefully it helps!

Friday, June 21, 2019 12:55 AM