Quality Degradation in Illustrator Imports. RRS feed

• Question

• I'm working on a project for MSFT and have done the design in Illustrator. Would like to open it in Expression Design, and then export to Blend/xaml so we can animate.

But the quality of the file seems to degrade dramatically when I open in Illustrator. First of all, every drop shadow has been converted to a black box. In addition, colors seem off, and the general quality is hugely disappointing.

Anybody else encountering this issue, or have any tips on how to get around these issues?

I see that expression doesn't support some hue blends and color blends ... so I'll try to find and replace those ... but in general the quality is just not as good.

thanks,
    Chelsea
    chelsea@hardaway.com

Tuesday, June 3, 2008 9:55 PM

Answers

• Hi Chelsea,

I assume you mean when you open it in Design after creating it in Illustrator?

anyways try this: http://www.mikeswanson.com/xamlexport/

its an AI to XAML exporter so unless you need Design to do some additional work then you can cut out the 'middle man'.

Also if you are adding bitmapeffects (drop shadow etc.) then I usually prefer to add these basic ones inside Blend itself rather than importing them, and finally it may be worth doing a search on animating objects which have bitmapeffects as I understand it really hurts performance (currently bitmapeffects are software rendered although this is going to change soon).

steve
    Wednesday, June 4, 2008 8:36 AM