CU5 - Risk of Not installing RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there, 

I need to know what are the benefits and risks of not installing the CU5 for BizTalk Server 2016R2. 

I have a basic understanding of why do we update the servers (LOL) but the form I'm filling (RFC) requires to list Business Benefits and Risks. :]

Monday, January 23, 2017 9:55 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Microsoft always recommend to install latest cumulative update on your BizTalk environment.

Each cumulative update includes new updates as well as all of the updates included in the previous cumulative updates. CU also usually contains some other fixes that improve the product.

But you should not directly install the cumulative update on your Production environment. It is always recommended to test hotfixes on your test or pre-production environment before you deploy them in a production environment.

Benefits includes that not only product defect fixes, CUs also contains performance updates.

Risk will be that you have thoroughly test your applications on the pre-production environment before deploying the same on Production.

Rachit Sikroria (Microsoft Azure MVP)

Monday, January 23, 2017 10:08 AM
  • Hi

Assuming you meant 2013 R2, the risks are missing out on the bug fixes that CU5 provides. Full list-

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3201943/cumulative-update-package-5-for-biztalk-server-2013-r2

So, unless you are facing any of the above issues at the moment, you can wait (at least for the time being). Note that you may run into these issues at a future point in time - so it is always advisable to stay updated with the latest CU.

I am assuming you have already installed CU4, or some other lower CU?

Note that CUs are cumulative, so if you have missed installing an older CU, you can only install the latest one and get all the fixes bundled together.

Thanks Arindam

Monday, January 23, 2017 12:47 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Microsoft always recommend to install latest cumulative update on your BizTalk environment.

Each cumulative update includes new updates as well as all of the updates included in the previous cumulative updates. CU also usually contains some other fixes that improve the product.

But you should not directly install the cumulative update on your Production environment. It is always recommended to test hotfixes on your test or pre-production environment before you deploy them in a production environment.

Benefits includes that not only product defect fixes, CUs also contains performance updates.

Risk will be that you have thoroughly test your applications on the pre-production environment before deploying the same on Production.

Rachit Sikroria (Microsoft Azure MVP)

Monday, January 23, 2017 10:08 AM
  • Hi

Assuming you meant 2013 R2, the risks are missing out on the bug fixes that CU5 provides. Full list-

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3201943/cumulative-update-package-5-for-biztalk-server-2013-r2

So, unless you are facing any of the above issues at the moment, you can wait (at least for the time being). Note that you may run into these issues at a future point in time - so it is always advisable to stay updated with the latest CU.

I am assuming you have already installed CU4, or some other lower CU?

Note that CUs are cumulative, so if you have missed installing an older CU, you can only install the latest one and get all the fixes bundled together.

Thanks Arindam

Monday, January 23, 2017 12:47 PM