Launching an app from within another app? RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings,
    Apologies if this question has been asked before:
    Is it possible for a WP7 application to initiate the launch of another application? Furthermore, is it possible to poll the phone for a list of installed applications or to determine if a specific application has been installed on the phone. My usage scenario goes as something like:

1.) Assume that app2 is a companion application to app1
    2.) A situation arrives in app1 that might be better handled in app2
    3.) App1 polls the phone for a list of installed applications to check whether or not app2 is installed
    4.) If installed, app1 launches app2. If not installed, app1 asks the user asks the user to download app2

I know that I app1 can call certain built-in applications, such as the camera, but I'd like to be able to call another one of my own applications. Is this possible? I'm thinking that because Silverlight is a sandboxed environment that I won't have that kind of access, but I thought that I'd see if anyone knew for sure.
    Thanks,
    --Adam
    Sunday, November 14, 2010 4:14 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Currently there's no way for third parties to access a list of currently installed applications. As Mick said, you can post this as in the Feature Suggestion section if you like.
    Wednesday, January 5, 2011 3:38 PM

All replies

• This functionality isn't exposed in the api at the moment. If you feel it would enhance the platform feel free to make a case for it in the suggestions forum.

As close as you can get is to direct the user to the marketplace where they can obtain the other app.

This is detailed here for MarketplaceDetailTask.

How to: Use Launchers for Windows Phone
    Sunday, November 14, 2010 4:28 AM
  • Hi, and do you know there is any way (in C#) to list the applications already installed on the phone? my Goal is to try to create a shortcut to some app within my application. Tks FF
    Wednesday, January 5, 2011 3:17 PM
  • Hi,

Currently there's no way for third parties to access a list of currently installed applications. As Mick said, you can post this as in the Feature Suggestion section if you like.
    Wednesday, January 5, 2011 3:38 PM