Add desktop link to charms menu

General discussion

• What do people think of adding a desktop link to the charms menu?

Right now, if you are in a Metro app and want to switch to the desktop, you have to first switch to the Metro Start screen, and then click the desktop tile. Either that or wade through the list of open "Metro" apps to find that "special" desktop app.

I realize that this idea is contrary to the "desktop is just an app" picture, but even in this picture the desktop is a very special app, and I do not see anything wrong with treating it as special.

With this additional way of accessing the desktop it would be possible, if one wanted, to remove all tiles that switch to the desktop (including the desktop tile) from the Start screen.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 9:54 AM

All replies

• What do you mean by desktop link? You don't have to click desktop title in my view. What you need is to either press WindowsKey, WindowsKey+Tab, or WindowsKey+D, isn't it? Or are we talking about different things? Or it is also possible that I incorrectly understood your question.

Well this is the world we live in And these are the hands we're given...

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 11:14 AM
  • What do you mean by desktop link? You don't have to click desktop title in my view. What you need is to either press WindowsKey, WindowsKey+Tab, or WindowsKey+D, isn't it? Or are we talking about different things? Or it is also possible that I incorrectly understood your question.
    Yes, WinKey+D does it, but I am a mouse person.

Besides, keyboard shortcuts are not available in the touch interface.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 11:24 AM