Campaign target relation removed after setting defaults RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

When a user has set up specific targeting for a campaign, like location targeting and device targeting, we can retrieve a target object for the campaign that holds the targeting settings.

We save all data from the target object and use it to display these targeting settings in the UI of our software.

If a user then changes the targeting for the campaign so that it targets all locations, all devices, etc. (basically restoring the campaign targeting to default) the relation between the campaign and target is deleted on Bing side. If we request to get the target for this campaign, we get no target object.

Also: if a campaign has set targeting for one type targeting 'type', i.e. has specific location targeting, but has other targeting on default, i.e. device targeting is set to all device types and device OS'ses, we get a target object that has null values for all targeting types that are set to their defaults. So in the example: location targeting is set to target a country, device targeting is set to all, we get a target object that has the specified location targeting but the deviceOS field of the target object is null

Our question is:

Why is a campaign - target relation deleted as soon as all targeting for the campaign (location, device, age, etc.) in the Bing UI is set to it's default values? Is this intentional behaviour?

And also: If there is a target for a campaign, why are specific members of the target (like device targeting in the example) set to null if the user has selected default values for that specific targeting type? Is this also intentional?

Thank you for looking into this.

Kind regards,

Jaap-Jan Frans

bGenius

Friday, February 14, 2014 9:51 AM

Answers

• Hello.

Great question, and we will clarify this in the documentation. Yes by design you would observe null targets for default settings. The exception is LocationTarget, where in the Bing Ads web application the default is to target the countries corresponding to your customer market. For example my account is set up for US, and by default when creating a new campaign in the Bing Ads web application my campaign targets "Selected cities, metro areas, states/provinces, and countries/regions" == United States and via API I get the following object by default.

<Targets xmlns:i="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
                 <Target>
                   <Age i:nil="true"/>
                   <Day i:nil="true"/>
                   <DeviceOS i:nil="true"/>
                   <ForwardCompatibilityMap xmlns:a="http://schemas.datacontract.org/2004/07/System.Collections.Generic"/>
                   <Gender i:nil="true"/>
                   <Hour i:nil="true"/>
                   <Id>****</Id>
                   <IsLibraryTarget>true</IsLibraryTarget>
                   <Location>
                      <CityTarget i:nil="true"/>
                      <CountryTarget>
                         <Bids>
                            <CountryTargetBid>
                               <BidAdjustment>0</BidAdjustment>
                               <CountryAndRegion>US</CountryAndRegion>
                               <IsExcluded>false</IsExcluded>
                            </CountryTargetBid>
                         </Bids>
                      </CountryTarget>
                      <HasPhysicalIntent>false</HasPhysicalIntent>
                      <MetroAreaTarget i:nil="true"/>
                      <RadiusTarget i:nil="true"/>
                      <StateTarget i:nil="true"/>
                   </Location>
                   <Name>targetgroup1</Name>
                </Target>
              </Targets>

If I update my location settings to target "All locations worldwide", then I get the completely null target object.

<Target i:nil="true"/>
             </Targets>

The intention of this design is to keep the Target object light weight by default. One alternative for example would have been to return every hour range, age range, day range, gender, etc with the default bid adjustment of '0'.

I hope this helps clarify, and please let me know if you have futher related questions or concerns.

Best regards,
    Eric

Friday, February 14, 2014 3:21 PM

All replies

• Hello.

Great question, and we will clarify this in the documentation. Yes by design you would observe null targets for default settings. The exception is LocationTarget, where in the Bing Ads web application the default is to target the countries corresponding to your customer market. For example my account is set up for US, and by default when creating a new campaign in the Bing Ads web application my campaign targets "Selected cities, metro areas, states/provinces, and countries/regions" == United States and via API I get the following object by default.

<Target>
                   <Age i:nil="true"/>
                   <Day i:nil="true"/>
                   <DeviceOS i:nil="true"/>
                   <ForwardCompatibilityMap xmlns:a="http://schemas.datacontract.org/2004/07/System.Collections.Generic"/>
                   <Gender i:nil="true"/>
                   <Hour i:nil="true"/>
                   <Id>****</Id>
                   <IsLibraryTarget>true</IsLibraryTarget>
                   <Location>
                      <CityTarget i:nil="true"/>
                      <CountryTarget>
                         <Bids>
                            <CountryTargetBid>
                               <BidAdjustment>0</BidAdjustment>
                               <CountryAndRegion>US</CountryAndRegion>
                               <IsExcluded>false</IsExcluded>
                            </CountryTargetBid>
                         </Bids>
                      </CountryTarget>
                      <HasPhysicalIntent>false</HasPhysicalIntent>
                      <MetroAreaTarget i:nil="true"/>
                      <RadiusTarget i:nil="true"/>
                      <StateTarget i:nil="true"/>
                   </Location>
                   <Name>targetgroup1</Name>
                </Target>
              </Targets>

If I update my location settings to target "All locations worldwide", then I get the completely null target object.

<Target i:nil="true"/>
             </Targets>

The intention of this design is to keep the Target object light weight by default. One alternative for example would have been to return every hour range, age range, day range, gender, etc with the default bid adjustment of '0'.

I hope this helps clarify, and please let me know if you have futher related questions or concerns.

Best regards,
    Eric

Friday, February 14, 2014 3:21 PM
  • Thank you Eric for clarifying this behaviour.

I think it's a good idea to clarify this in the documentation as we couldn't find it in the current docs and had to do quite some testing before we discovered this :)

Kind regards,

Jaap-Jan Frans bGenius

• Edited by Jaap-Jan Friday, February 14, 2014 3:27 PM
    Friday, February 14, 2014 3:26 PM