Unresolved external symbols on x64 windows 7 direct3d application RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have been testing out direct3d and could make a window flash to different colors back and forth with visual c++ 2010 but when I needed to add d3dx9.h to  my program and included the directx sdk include folders and libraries it said it couldn't even find direct3dcreate9 or whatever it's called yet it could find it before.

What could be the problem? Why can I run on windows 7 64-bit on some directx programs but not use the matrix operations also?

Monday, January 17, 2011 3:24 AM

Answers

• Well, if you posted in this forum because you are using VC Express, then the simple reason is that the Express version can't target x64.

But if you have tweaked the environment to get the x64 compiler into the environment, have you changed the lib path to point at the x64 libraries? The libraries for Win32 applications won't work for x64 so you will need to use that different set.

So check your lib path, make sure it has all of the relevant libraries available.

Any samples given are not meant to have error checking or show best practices. They are meant to just illustrate a point. I may also give inefficient code or introduce some problems to discourage copy/paste coding. This is because the major point of my posts is to aid in the learning process.
    Visit my (not very good) blog at
    http://ccprogramming.wordpress.com/
    Monday, January 17, 2011 4:27 AM