Upgraded from Visual Studio 2008 to 2013 Data Connections are Broken in all my projects??? RRS feed

• Question

• I have been using Visual studio 2008 to create some basic search apps where I work. In 2008 i could just go to "add new datasource", select ODBC connection and select my iSeries Access ODBC driver, Select the tables I wanted, then drag them onto a DataGridView in my windows form. Now when i go to do this in VS 2013 the second i click on one of my ODBC connections the Add datasource window either just disappears or I get an error saying "Object reference not set to an instance of an object"

I am sure this is something simple that I am missing, But i really really need these connections to work. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Tuesday, July 7, 2015 8:22 PM

Answers

• Hi MEbauer,

I suggest you installing the Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010 Redistributable: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=13255

If this is still not working, you could test the other option when you add new datasource in VS. If the other is not working too, I'm afraid you need to reinstall the VS.

Regards,
    Youjun Tang

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by Fred Bao Tuesday, July 28, 2015 1:24 AM
    Tuesday, July 21, 2015 5:52 AM

All replies

• Hi MEbauer,

Thank you for posting in MSDN forum.

This forum is about Visual Studio IDE, as your issue is more related to ODBC connection, I’m afraid that it is not related to Visual Studio IDE, it would be related to ADO.NET Managed Providers, I help you move this case to ADO.NET Managed Providers Forum for dedicated support: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=adodotnetdataproviders

Thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Jiayi Li

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Wednesday, July 8, 2015 8:07 AM
  • Hi MEbauer,

I suggest you installing the Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010 Redistributable: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=13255

If this is still not working, you could test the other option when you add new datasource in VS. If the other is not working too, I'm afraid you need to reinstall the VS.

Regards,
    Youjun Tang

• Marked as answer by Fred Bao Tuesday, July 28, 2015 1:24 AM
    Tuesday, July 21, 2015 5:52 AM