loband rocks RRS feed

• General discussion

• It's just fabulous...  thank you thank you thank you.   Not just for the speed, but it's clearer and easier to use.

Can you add search back in to it?
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 6:08 PM

All replies

• Please see http://blogs.msdn.com/innovation/archive/2009/03/26/launching-low-bandwidth-loband-beta-for-long-haul.aspx. Loband pages allow no script and are designed to improve page load performance for our long haul international users. We will shortly deliver a new IDE version based on loband experience with search. Hope this helps.

Anand..

Group Manager| Developer Division| Microsoft Corp.| http://blogs.msdn.com/sandcastle/
    Wednesday, April 1, 2009 3:28 AM
  • I was about to come here to post a topic with the same name.  Loband is excellent.

Even though I'm on a high bandwidth connection, it is now my default view.  Much faster, cleaner, and straight to the point.
    Wednesday, April 1, 2009 7:46 PM
  • I agree, it's now my default view, it's a breath of fresh air.
    Tuesday, April 7, 2009 2:00 PM
  • I used to avoid coming to the MSDN reference library because of how cluttered the webpages looked. It is not a bandwidth issue for me, more like a visual overload problem, especially with the huge and overwhelming treeview of topics on the side.  I love the "loband" option, it shows what I need and skips what I don't.
    Friday, April 10, 2009 10:46 PM
  • Thanks for the feedback.

Anand..

Group Manager| Developer Division| Microsoft Corp.| http://blogs.msdn.com/sandcastle/
    Sunday, April 12, 2009 1:07 AM
  • I don't know about IE, but in Firefox the normal site is next to unusable. Thanks for loband!
    Monday, April 13, 2009 10:20 PM
  • I have a huge pipe to the internet, but refused to visit MSDN because of all the mouse over this and that, the stupid toc reloads, the 1,000,000+ language examples, and the 1,000 clicks it would take to find anything in the TOC.

Now with the loband version, I actually feel like BROWSING the documentation. You've turned MSDN from a torture device to one of learning.

Good job! Don't add anything more. No more features! You can fix the styling a bit (see Apple's API documentation for examples on how to make this look good), but that's all!

I've been waiting for this day ever since VC 6.0. Thanks guys!!!!!

Edit Yes, we absolutely do need search. Again, see the Xcode documentation browser to see how to do search right. But that's your last feature! :-)
    • Edited by praeclarum Wednesday, April 15, 2009 9:31 PM wanted to chime in on search
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 9:28 PM
  • Agreed, I love the look. HOwever it's pretty useless without search. Give me search and I will be thrilled. Thanks for your hard work!

Justin
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 11:02 PM
  • I'll throw my voice into the chorus and say loband is wonderful. My productivity has greatly improved. Not to mention I can now use MSDN effectively even with small browser window sizes. I can't thank whomever is responsible for this enough, but thanks ad infinitum!!
    Adzm
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 1:16 PM
  • I'd also like to add in my vote for loband. Even though I have plenty of bandwidth, the "highband" version just loads too slowly and appears cluttered. Loband is now set as my default.
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 2:12 PM
  • Love it. Although I must say it is staggering that Microsoft is seemingly just now discovering optimization techniques that the rest of the world has used for a decade. Fewer HTTP requests (6 HTTP request on the loband version versus 34 on the regular one), and a bit of thought applied to when .js files are loaded and how much other content is stalled waiting for it.

And what is with the (loband) syntax? HTTP *does* specify a mechanism for providing parameters to an URL, you know. It even allows you to specify multiple parameters (for, say, the pages that also specify a VS version (vs.85) :)
    Any chance of using that?

Well, I shouldn't complain. For the first time ever, MSDN has become usable.

Pages load in a second or two (which is comparable to Java's documentation, and not that much slower than PHP's). Compared to the usual 8+ second load time on a good day, that's definitely acceptable. Of course it remains to be seen how it'll behave on a bad day, when the old version took a minute or more to load. (This is on a 20mbit line, so the discussion of "bandwidth-constrained" users seems to miss the point a bit. Latency coupled with dozens of sequential requests, and horrendous code (at least on the browser-side. Obviously can't say what it's like on the server-side) would be much more accurate.

And they look much nicer too. Content no longer jumps all over the place while the page is loading, the page is structured like other websites so it looks familiar as well.

The erratically broken treeview is gone, making navigation so much easier, and the feedback onmouseover box no longer obscures actual page content.
    Even the color scheme is pleasant to look at.

Apart from the weird proprietary (isn't this supposed to be the new, standards-compliant Microsoft? ;)) parameters, my only big remaining complaint is the GUIDs in the urls. Urls were meant to be 1) readable, and 2) permanent. A few good sites manage both. Most manage the first one. And a few sacrifice the first one, to make the second one easier (typically with GUIDs everyhere). And then there's Microsoft, who does neither. GUID's are used to obfuscate urls (requiring me to navigate the site instead of just typing in the url I need), but still seemingly changes half the urls every year.
    I suppose, now that a few others have mentioned it above, that search functionality would be handy as well. To be honest, that hadn't even occurred to me. I gave up on MSDN search long ago, and just use Google. But hey, if you can fit in a working search, that'd be great as well.

Fix these last issues, and I'll consider MSDN an example of *good* web design. Until now it has been an example of how to do everything wrong. The new lo-band version is pretty much neutral, with no big screwups, but also not really going out of the way to behave better than the absolute minimum.

But anyway, loband is a *vast* improvement. I've set it as default, and I'm happy with it.

A million times thanks for the loband version!
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 3:30 PM
  • Thank you, thank you, thank you.

BTW, it is possible to add some small script without going overboard (like MSDN main). Restraint is a virtue...
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 10:05 PM
  • Absolutely! It doesn't simply rock it quakes!
    Friday, April 17, 2009 8:48 AM
  • I like it! But it sorely needs the Language Filter of the full site. This one change would reduce clutter significantly.
    Friday, April 17, 2009 3:53 PM
  • lowband++

Sometimes less is more
    Saturday, April 18, 2009 4:10 AM
  • Thanks for all the great feedback. Please see

2. http://www.hanselman.com/blog/CommentView.aspx?guid=7ed4776c-f384-4d5c-a575-c7a598325460#commentstart

on the new features coming. We are releasing a new version of loband on April 22nd.

Anand..

Anand.. Group Manager| Developer Division| Microsoft Corp.| http://blogs.msdn.com/sandcastle/ http://blogs.msdn.com/innovation/
    Sunday, April 19, 2009 3:34 AM