VSeWSS 1.3, When I try to Deploy the Error Massage "Access denied." RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using Windows Server 2008 + MOSS 2007 + VS 2008 + VSeWSS  1.3
    VSeWSS  1.3 is a remarkable tool, that helps to safe time.
    But when I try to deploy or debug the deploy failed because of Access Denied.
    This is the output of an Empty Webpart Project:

"------ Build started: Project: SimpleWepart, Configuration: Debug Any CPU ------
    SimpleWepart -> C:\Projects\Sharepoint\SimpleWepart\SimpleWepart\SimpleWepart\bin\Debug\SimpleWepart.dll
    ------ Deploy started: Project: SimpleWepart, Configuration: Debug Any CPU ------
    ------ Validate solution and resolve deployment conflict(s) ------
    Validating solution ...
    Operation completed successfully.
    ------ Generate solution file and setup batch file ------
    Creating solution ...
    Creating setup batch file ...
    ------ Add and deploy the solution to SharePoint ------
    Adding solution SimpleWepart ...
    Deploying solution SimpleWepart ...
    System.Exception
    Server Error: Access denied.
    ========== Build: 1 succeeded or up-to-date, 0 failed, 0 skipped ==========
    ========== Deploy: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 skipped ==========
    "

I have tried to search it internet to find the answer but failed.

Thursday, January 15, 2009 4:08 PM

Answers

• Did you also add the web service user account to the SharePoint Farm Admin Group? My service account on my local machine here is called SPDB. It's from the downloadable WSS VHD and it's a member of these groups:

IIS_WPG

POP3 Users

WSS_ADMIN_WPG

WSS_RESTRICTED_WPG

Local Administrators

I don't think the first two are needed.

Regards,

Paul

SharePoint Product Manager. Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Saturday, January 24, 2009 4:20 AM
  • Paul  Thank you,

I think in that case it should also work, but I had found that on my PC VSeWss and Sharepoint application run from user "local network" thou it was added to Administrators group it doesn't wants work. I changed user "local network" to local Administrator, and add Administrator to this Groups: (WSS_ADMIN_WPG, WSS_RESTRICTED_WPG)

After that all deployed... 

Monday, January 26, 2009 9:23 AM

All replies

• Hi, did you do this from the release notes?

VSeWSS 1.3 includes a web service that needs to run as a member of the local Administrators group. The web service is used by the Visual Studio extension to communicate with SharePoint and is restricted to local connections only. The installer does not add the account running the web service to the local Administrators group. You must do it. If you select the default during install the web service is run under the account that SharePoint Central Administration runs as. To do this:

1)     Run Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager to look up the account name

2)     Run Computer Manager to edit the Administrators group and add the account

Regards,
    Paul

SharePoint Product Manager. Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 10:50 PM
  • Thank you for your answer but, I have read VSeWSS 1 3 CTP Release Notes.docx before installation.  And done those steps after install.
    It's common mistake not to RTFM.
    There is KNOWN ISSUES AND WORKAROUNDS in the end of that document  and there mentioned that

·       You may receive a security error when deploying when the application pool is running as a security restricted account. As a work around, we currently recommend running the web service under the same application pool as the SharePoint Central Admin site, and adding this user to the local Administrators group)

I think that is the answer but I failed to done this on Windows Server 2008.

Maybe I should try to reinstall MOSS 2007 on Windows Server 2003? 
    Friday, January 16, 2009 10:30 AM
  • Did you also add the web service user account to the SharePoint Farm Admin Group? My service account on my local machine here is called SPDB. It's from the downloadable WSS VHD and it's a member of these groups:

IIS_WPG

POP3 Users

WSS_ADMIN_WPG

WSS_RESTRICTED_WPG

Local Administrators

I don't think the first two are needed.

Regards,

Paul

Saturday, January 24, 2009 4:20 AM
  • Paul  Thank you,

I think in that case it should also work, but I had found that on my PC VSeWss and Sharepoint application run from user "local network" thou it was added to Administrators group it doesn't wants work. I changed user "local network" to local Administrator, and add Administrator to this Groups: (WSS_ADMIN_WPG, WSS_RESTRICTED_WPG)

After that all deployed... 

Monday, January 26, 2009 9:23 AM
  • I was getting all sorts of different error messages from within VSe when trying to deploy.

In the end I added the user account that is used on the VSeWSS Application Pool as the secondary "Site Collection Administrators" within SharePoint's Application Management.  I was immediately able to deploy from then on.
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 4:10 PM
  • I was getting this error and failed to fix it after all the suggestions here. The problem was that one of the files being packaged (Feature.xml) was read-only. So deploy failed, but it was actually at the package step after a successful build.
    Saturday, March 20, 2010 2:14 AM
  • Use VS2010 beta 2 and WSS 4.0 :)

The deployment and development very easy with new version's....

http://sharepointdevelop.blogspot.com/
    Saturday, March 20, 2010 7:24 AM
  • Hello

1)      Go to IIS check if the Application pool identity has enough rights to write to 12 hives & target site

2)      Replace it with an identity with higher access right or replace the application pool of Vsewss with central admin application pool

3)      Tara

Mohamed Hachem :)

Momo
    Wednesday, August 4, 2010 7:31 PM