Server error:There is no web named RRS feed

• Question

• I have looked for over an hour and still haven't got a clue on how to get rid of the following. It isn't really an issue just annoying.

I deleted some useless web sites that were on my computer. These were samples that I had been playing with while i was working with examples from a Expression web book. I deleted these files outside of Expression web. (The program was not running). I figured they should be removed since all they do is confuse the selection (they have the same name with different numbers attached to them.

I started Expression Web and went to open file and found that the program still believes that the deleted programs are still there. When i try to open the file i get the following message: ==> Server error: There is no Web named "C:\Users\Rick\Documents\My Web sites\Test1".

All i can do is press OK but the file names stay there. I read about F5 and refresh but neither works as Refresh is grayed out since the program has no focus.

You would think that typing "delete" would bring up something within the Expression help file. Anyway the book I was reading later told me not to delete files outside the program enviroment (no reason given).

So how does one delete this annoyance, I can't believe that I am the only one who has done this.

Thanks for any insight

Saturday, November 15, 2008 6:24 PM

Answers

• Open Ew, click File > open site.
    In the open site dialog right click on one that you have deleted and select Delete.

If EW is trying to automatically open a site that no longer exists, and you can't get
    to Tools > Application options to uncheck "Open ast site automatically when Expression Web starts."
    go here: http://www.95isalive.com/fixes/fpclean.htm and download FP Cleaner.
    Run the function "Change the open last web setting, and set it to not open the last web for EW.

FrontPage MVP
    Saturday, November 15, 2008 6:48 PM

All replies

• Open Ew, click File > open site.
    In the open site dialog right click on one that you have deleted and select Delete.

If EW is trying to automatically open a site that no longer exists, and you can't get
    to Tools > Application options to uncheck "Open ast site automatically when Expression Web starts."
    go here: http://www.95isalive.com/fixes/fpclean.htm and download FP Cleaner.
    Run the function "Change the open last web setting, and set it to not open the last web for EW.

FrontPage MVP
    Saturday, November 15, 2008 6:48 PM
  • As Steve said, to remove a name from the "Open Site" list, right-click on the webs in the list that no longer exist, and "Remove" (not "Delete - that's not an option).

That removes the name from the listing, but does not delete web site files.  This means it's also useful for removing a name from that list even if you have not deleted the site itself.

Now, to prevent the list from becoming cluttered again with deleted web sites, use EW itself to delete unwanted webs:

Open the web you want to delete, select the top website folder in the file pane, right-click, and "Delete", choosing "Delete this web site entirely".
    Saturday, November 15, 2008 7:06 PM
  • Boy that was ackward. I had to basically go to the world symbol 'click on it' and then all the web sites showed in the right pane . I could now right click on each one that I wanted to be removed and remove them. I was originally trying to do this in the left pane list.

Thanks, I am moving on.

Ronny
    Saturday, November 15, 2008 8:52 PM