none
MS EXCEL 2016 : ' Cannot Find Project or Library' error RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, 

Since the beginning of this year, I have had one particular xlsm wb  crash out, with the "Cannot Find Project or Library" error. It has happened about 3 times, sometimes going weeks without issue.

Running Office 365 (past two years) on Windows 10 (for a few years now). These are on the machine by way of upgrades.

The crashing xlsm file has a lot of code, ands was created in 2013 and has has zero problems until now. File size is 6.9mb and aside from this issue runs perfectly fine.  

As per the often suggested solution to go into VBE > Tools > References and uncheck MISSING items - I cannot do this; the References Dialog will not pop up. 

In the past 3 days the incidences have escalated.

1) The file (xlsm File 1)  has crashed twice in as many days.  Each time I have to rebuild by a laborious process of copying,  moving sheets, reassigning macros, etc into a backup copy of the file where the VBE library is still there and working.

2) Yesterday, another xlsm file crashed. This one (xlsm File 2)  is  1.5mb, created a year ago and based on a template created in 2010 that is used annually without any issues.  My  rebuilt (xlsm file 1) happened to be open at the time and was NOT affected.. This one (xlsm file 2) has a lot  sheets, It will be a huge task to 'rebuild it"

3) Today, another xlsm file crashed. This one (xlsm File 3) is 3.9 mb, created in 2010 and has worked faultlessly.  Another completely different xlsm file was open at the same time and was not affected.  This one has a MANY sheets, It will be a huge task to 'rebuild it"

Please help, I am at a complete loss and this is crippling my ability to work with Excel files I have worked with for years and creating a very unstable environment.  I feel like my whole Excel stable is about to come down around my ears. 

TBH, I have not been at all happy with Excel since getting Office 365, Lots of little issues - but nothing like this major one.

Cheers, and thanks for all help and suggestions.

Thursday, February 22, 2018 6:34 AM

All replies

• Some further information.....

Running Windows 10, on 64bit

Running Office 2016 via Office 365,  on 32bit

I now think this is the problem:  VBE7.DLL

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/c9044eea-f01d-47af-ae8e-731f80e347ee/excel-crashes-in-vbe7dll-running-or-enabling-macro?forum=excel

I don't know what to do next...........

I checked when my Windows last udated, it was on 31/1/18:
    "Feature update to Windows 10, version 1709"

In hindsight, **think**  this is about when the crashes started

:-(

The methods to resolve on this link below, don't work  (I can't open up any module in Method 1)

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/the_microsoft_excel_support_team_blog/2012/09/07/excel-crashes-in-vbe7-dll-running-or-enabling-macro/

If someone can offer help, I would be very grateful!

• Edited by KynJackson Friday, February 23, 2018 2:35 AM
    Friday, February 23, 2018 2:14 AM
  • Hi,

This is the forum to discuss questions and feedback for Microsoft Excel features, I'll move your question to the MSDN forum for Excel

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=exceldev

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Emi

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, February 23, 2018 5:53 AM
  • Thank you Emi,

Sorry I didn't realise it was in the wrong place.

Monday, February 26, 2018 12:51 AM
  • Microsoft,

Is there any help available on this please?

I can't even get into the project Developer>Tools> References to check for MISSING items.

VBE7.DLL has arisen as a possible 'culprit' but I don't know who/what to do next.

I am unable to work with key files, that have never had issues in the past.

Googling shows this is not a new issue in the community of exel.xlsm users!

Cheers

Monday, February 26, 2018 1:04 AM
  • Hello KynJackson,

If you start excel in safe mode, would you get into reference?

If you open the file in another pc, would these error still occur?

Besides, could repair Office be helpful for this issue?

Best Regards,

Terry

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 26, 2018 8:48 AM
  • Hi Terry

Thank you for replying, I appreciate it.

I did start Excel in safe mode, and still unable to access the Developer>Tools? Rferences dialog.

As for opening on a different PC -  one of the first times this happened, I took the 'broken' file home via emailing the file,  to my own PC (where I run Office 365). I downloaded it, opened it, worked fine, used the file, saved it, emailed it back to work. At work, saved it, opened it and worked fine.....

But the next time it crashed, I tried the same trick - and it didn't work - it wouldn't open on my home PC.

We have 2 computers in office, each with it's local instalation of Office 365.  My PC is the one that used the files most often and where all the crashes are generating from. It has never begun while in use on the other PC. Once it has crashed on my Office PC,  the fiile also won't work on the other office PC.

Last week I went through the repair Office process.

First the quick Repair. No change.

Second the full repair (which appears to be a re-install). No change.

Now I'm wondering - if a complete uninstall and re-install is required.

BTW - the VBE7.DLL file issue I wondered about. That came about as the result of running  the Excel debugger.

I have located the file in C: drive, but it's not in the same file as the EXCEL-EXE - I don't know if it should be or not?

Could part of the issue be, too many 'parts' of Office installs all over the plae, fropm XP through to 365 - and some file parts are now confused?

Thanks for your help!

Cheers

Monday, February 26, 2018 9:00 PM
  • Does any of this help - have any clues?

EXCEL app is here - at least, I think this is the version born of Office 365?
    C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Office/root/Office16/EXCEL.EXE

VBE7.DLL is here
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\vfs\ProgramFilesCommonX86\Microsoft Shared\VBA\VBA7.1

VBEINTL.DLL (I don't know what that is) is here
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\vfs\ProgramFilesCommonX86\Microsoft Shared\VBA\VBA7.1\1033

Cheers

Monday, February 26, 2018 10:26 PM
  • Hello KynJackson,

>>I now think this is the problem:  VBE7.DLL

Why do you think it is related to VBE7.DLL? I would suggest you go to Event Viewer to check the Windows Log for the error message once the excel crash.

How to Check the Application Event Log for Errors

>>In hindsight, **think**  this is about when the crashes started

Could you uninstall the windows update for test if it is caused by the update?

Best Regards,

Terry

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 27, 2018 2:20 AM
  • Hi Terry,

I followed the debug process that popped up when it was crashing - and it came up with that VBE7.DLL reference. And when I researched it,  the problems others were experiencing sounded like mine.

I will follow your suggestion on checking Windows Log - thanks for the link. This is pushing me into unknown territory!

>> Could you uninstall the windows update for test if it is caused by the update?

I was thinking that might be a next step. That update had previously stalled at abt 49% in multiple auto-install attempts. An  IT person we called in about other matters unrelated, forced the update to go ahead,  I think, by 'fixing' something in our ESET Security behaviours

Or maybe we could be first trying  uninstalling Office 365 and doing a clean reinstall?

Thanks again,

Cheers

Tuesday, February 27, 2018 2:42 AM
  • It's just happened again....:-(  I followed the Debug prompts.

Forum won't let me post a screenshot (how do I verify my account?).

Call Stack

>    VBE7.DLL!601a88bd()     
    >  [Frames below may be incorrect and/or missing, no symbols loaded for VBE7.DLL]
    >   VBE7.DLL!6017790e()     

then 7 more lines like that. then 7 more like this:

> EXCEL.EXE!012044d8()   

Then many other lines.

Sorry if I'm not doing this right, like I said I'm flying blind about now. See my earlier post, showing where my VBE7.DLL is located as opposed to in same file as EXCEl.EXE. Is that relevant?

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/the_microsoft_excel_support_team_blog/2012/09/07/excel-crashes-in-vbe7-dll-running-or-enabling-macro/

https://www.dllme.com/dll/files/vbe7_dll.html

Cheers

Tuesday, February 27, 2018 5:43 AM