RequiredField Validation in visual studio 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• User1441157511 posted

I used a required field validation control to validate a textbox using the following lines of codes

<asp:Label ID="Label25" runat="server" Text="School"></asp:Label>
    <asp:TextBox ID="schl" runat="server" Width ="320px"></asp:TextBox>
    <asp:RequiredFieldValidator ID="RequiredFieldValidator1" runat="server" ErrorMessage="*" ControlToValidate="schl" Text="*"></asp:RequiredFieldValidator>

<asp:Button ID="addschool" runat="server" Text="Add" CssClass="button" BackColor="#333333" BorderColor="Silver" OnClick="addschool_Click" BorderWidth="2px" Width="150px" />

this is the back code of the button

protected void addschool_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
            {
                try
                {
                    if (Page.IsValid)
                    {
                        error.Text = "";
                        MySqlConnection conn = new MySqlConnection(connection);
                        MySqlCommand addschool = new MySqlCommand("insert into pla20132014.schools (Departments, Schools) values(@dept, @schl)", conn);
                        MySqlDataReader read;
                        conn.Open();
                        addschool.Parameters.Add("@dept", MySqlDbType.VarChar).Value = dept.Text;
                        addschool.Parameters.Add("@schl", MySqlDbType.VarChar).Value = schl.Text;
                        read = addschool.ExecuteReader();
                        read.Close();
                        conn.Close();
                        error.ForeColor = Color.Green;
                        error.Text = "Upload Successful";

}
                }
                catch(MySqlException myex)
                {
                    error.Text = myex.Message;
                }
                catch(Exception ex)
                {
                    error.Text = "/n " + ex.Message;
                }
            }

but i receive the following error in stack trace

[InvalidOperationException: WebForms UnobtrusiveValidationMode requires a ScriptResourceMapping for 'jquery'. Please add a ScriptResourceMapping named jquery(case-sensitive).]
       System.Web.UI.ClientScriptManager.EnsureJqueryRegistered() +2287754
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.BaseValidator.RegisterUnobtrusiveScript() +10
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.BaseValidator.OnPreRender(EventArgs e) +9831213
       System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +83
       System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +155
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +974
    i really don't know what is wrong because i use same code in visual studio 2010 and it works perfectly. Thanks for your assistance
    Thursday, June 25, 2015 2:34 PM

Answers

• User2024324573 posted

Well, to get the idea how the files are created and organized in App_Start folder do the following steps:

• Create a new MVC Web Site project (Don't select the Empty template)
    • When the project has been created, open the solution explorer and find App_Start folder and you will see there are 5 file (.cs) files there. 
    • One of them is BundleConfig.cs, open file and see what is there, bundled packages for js, css and other files from the folders of your project.
    • The bundle names are being called in your .Layout.cshtml files so that all the pages are rendered with the scripts added as bundles.

Hope this will help.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, July 2, 2015 5:52 PM

All replies

• User2024324573 posted

Do you have jquery.validate.js installed and reference in your page? 

Thursday, June 25, 2015 3:54 PM
  • User1441157511 posted
    i have just downloaded the jQuery 2.1.4 package but can't find it in my add reference. am i looking in the wrong place or i am not doing the right thing?
    Thursday, June 25, 2015 5:42 PM
  • User2024324573 posted

You need to add it to BundleConfig.cs in App_Start folder, please follow the way how other packages are added there. 

Thursday, June 25, 2015 6:18 PM
  • User1441157511 posted

i'm using the c# language. there is no App_Start folder in my project because i created it from scratch. so i don't kn how to implement that. Thanks

Thursday, July 2, 2015 7:41 AM
  • User2024324573 posted

Well, to get the idea how the files are created and organized in App_Start folder do the following steps:

• Create a new MVC Web Site project (Don't select the Empty template)
    • When the project has been created, open the solution explorer and find App_Start folder and you will see there are 5 file (.cs) files there. 
    • One of them is BundleConfig.cs, open file and see what is there, bundled packages for js, css and other files from the folders of your project.
    • The bundle names are being called in your .Layout.cshtml files so that all the pages are rendered with the scripts added as bundles.

Hope this will help.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, July 2, 2015 5:52 PM