Is code signing necessary for Windows Mobile applications? RRS feed

• Question

• I want to create a windows mobile application and distribute it from my website but I don't want to buy a code signing certificate. I have HTC Diamond2 smartphone (WM6.1) and it allows me to run my not signed app. It gives me no warnings though my app connects to the net and makes calls. Also, several years ago I had a Windows Mobile 4.0 device and it also did not require signing. So I always thought that code signing is not necessary for windows mobile. But recently I read that it can be required???

So the question is: if I distribute my app from my website worldwide, how many users will not be able to use it because it is not signed? I mean what percentage? Maybe it's different in different countries? Maybe in countries where most phones are sold locked the signing is required, and in countries where phones are usually sold unlocked the signing is not required?

Please enlighten me in this matter.
    Saturday, June 11, 2011 8:45 AM

Answers

• It's hard to say for sure. Most Pocket PC's (Windows Mobile Pro) would run unsigned applications with a warning (even carrier locked phones in the US).

SmartPhone type devices generally would not but most of them can be easily app unlocked (which adventurous users who install apps from random web sites probably did).

I would say 10% or so - that that is of course not very scientific.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by Jesse Jiang Thursday, June 30, 2011 3:31 AM
    Saturday, June 11, 2011 3:48 PM

All replies

• It's hard to say for sure. Most Pocket PC's (Windows Mobile Pro) would run unsigned applications with a warning (even carrier locked phones in the US).

SmartPhone type devices generally would not but most of them can be easily app unlocked (which adventurous users who install apps from random web sites probably did).

I would say 10% or so - that that is of course not very scientific.

• Marked as answer by Jesse Jiang Thursday, June 30, 2011 3:31 AM
    Saturday, June 11, 2011 3:48 PM
  • I would say 10% or so - that that is of course not very scientific.

Sorry, you mean only 10% will have troubles with an unsigned app and 90% will have no problems? Or vice versa?
    Saturday, June 11, 2011 4:20 PM
  • 10% would not be able to install.

Saturday, June 11, 2011 4:34 PM