SQL Server 2008 to 2008 R2 upgrade RRS feed

• Question

• I have been trying to upgrade SQL Server 2008 to the 2008 R2 version.  I was able to perform this on one server; however, the second server fails to upgrade.  I noticed that in the Instance Configuration step the install directory path, Default and named Instance radio buttons are grayed out.  Furthermore, when I get to the Reporting Services Authentication step after selecting "Import" on the "Full-Text Upgrade" step it does not let me use windows authentication or the mixed mode login. It returns the below error:

[Error Message]
    Use the Reporting Services Configuration tool to configure the database source name (DSN) and connect to the database.
    ================================================================================
    How can I get around this issue?

Monday, May 6, 2013 4:40 PM

Answers

All replies

• To fix this error you need to create a report service database .

André CR / Helped? If the answer is yes mark! If the answer is no, wait a little bit because i'll back! Visit my blog! sqlmagu.blogspot.com.br

Monday, May 6, 2013 4:54 PM
  • I will look into that. Reporting is not needed on this server and I am just looking ot update the database engine.
    Monday, May 6, 2013 6:54 PM
  • Hello,

Try to remove the features you don’t want to keep of the SQL Server instance currently installed, then upgrade the instance.

If installation fails again, please share the summary.txt log file with us. The following article may help you locate the file on disk:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143702(v=sql.105).aspx

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

• Marked as answer by LluvianBlack Wednesday, May 15, 2013 2:16 PM
    Monday, May 6, 2013 9:23 PM