Right Click Functionality in Search

Question

• In the developer preview, using search brings up a screen with all search results, which I think is a good idea, as it maximizes screen estate, but one of the main reasons that I search for files is to find the folder that contains them. To do this in Windows 7, you just searched, right clicked on the result, and chose to open the containing folder, which I thought was phenomenal. In Windows 8, for the same functionality, you need to open the explorer, navigate to the main user, and then search from there. This is far less efficient and hurts one of the my favorite Windows 7 features without even attempting to add something new.
    Friday, December 02, 2011 5:45 AM

Answers

• Hey MillenniumB,

you are right, if you type the name of one of your folder, you get all the files contained in it and if you search a file you get it but not the folder that contains it. You can't right click the file to find the folder containing it. Thx for posting it. There has to be a way, lets see what the bigwigs have to say.

Irfan
    Friday, December 02, 2011 11:00 AM

All replies

• Hey MillenniumB,

you are right, if you type the name of one of your folder, you get all the files contained in it and if you search a file you get it but not the folder that contains it. You can't right click the file to find the folder containing it. Thx for posting it. There has to be a way, lets see what the bigwigs have to say.

Irfan
    Friday, December 02, 2011 11:00 AM
  • In Windows 8, for the same functionality, you need to

press Esc twice to get rid of the Search pane, then either have a mouse or a pen and hover.   I can't see how Touch users can get the same effect.

Maybe my Touch options can be tweaked?...   I do have Press and hold for Right-click but it is ignoring my settings and assuming that as soon as I Touch it is a single-click.   So that's probably what's wrong.   It probably expects Single-click to mean select *only* and I have it set for Open, with Hover for Select.   In retrospect if I want to do Touch I guess that choice doesn't make much sense...  So, I tried making that change in Folder Options.   Now it opens when I release from a "right-click" press--still not what I want.   Oops.   I forgot to press Esc Esc  first!   So it does work (in a quirky sort of way)!   Thanks for making me find this!   ; )

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Saturday, December 03, 2011 5:18 AM
  • Since this is different from the Search functionality in Windows 7, I suggest you submit feedback on your issue. 

We want to make sure we get the right info including your log files. Can you also submit feedback using the Windows Feedback Tool from the Connect Site associated with your Windows Developer Preview program? If you’re an MSDN subscriber, the information on how to join the Connect program is included on the download page where you installed Windows Developer Preview. There’s a link to the Connect site and an invitation code that you can click on to join using a Windows Live ID account. If you’re not an MSDN subscriber follow this limited use
    link to join the Connect program and then follow the steps here.

If you are prompted for an invitation code, please enter the following key. MSDN-76H9-3CFP

https://connect.microsoft.com/site1147/InvitationUse.aspx?ProgramID=7221&InvitationID=MSDN-76H9-3CFP

Sincerely,

Marilyn
    Monday, December 05, 2011 3:47 AM
  • Since this is different from the Search functionality in Windows 7, I suggest you submit feedback on your issue. 

Marilyn

Hello Marilyn, have sent the feedback on the given link.
    Irfan
    Monday, December 05, 2011 11:57 AM
  • Although it's true that that does provide the information as to the location, you cannot open the folder directly from the search, even after you have hidden the search panel, and these steps also seem to be a bit less intuitive(However, you can achieve the same results that you would normally get by pressing escape twice simply by clicking on the area of the search results without clicking on any specific one). After hovering, the displayed box will also disappear after mouse movement. Since Windows 8 is only a few months to a few years from its release, adding a feature like this would potentially be impossible, at least before SP1, because of how much volume requests like these would have to have to make an influence. I will probably still switch to Win8 soon after its official release, but the right click search functionality in Win7 has saved me at least an hour of time in total since I started using it, and I think that I would regret losing it. 
    Sunday, December 11, 2011 2:33 AM
  • the right click search functionality in Win7 has saved me at least an hour of time in total since I started using it, and I think that I would regret losing it. 

From the Start Menu in W7?   I think one would have to press Win-F  to get started in a Search Files...
    Oh.  Is that the point?  That Win-F now means Search Files from the Search charm?   Then fortunately, there is still Win-E and Ctrl-e which would accomplish the same thing, in fact, in W7 I wish I could get into the habit of doing that because  Win-F  in W7 has horrible usability that irritates me every time I try to use it.   I really like the finding functionality in W8's Win-F.   I do agree that it would be nice if right-click would do something with *every* file, not just ones which happen to have .lnk files in  %PROGRAMDATA% but I think I can understand why they don't want to add that level of complexity to their Start Screen.   For a counterexample, we should see what right-click of a found file in the W7 STart Menu does.   I don't think it is as general as for a found file in Win-E Ctrl-e, is it?  (I'm on W8 now, so will have to test this recollection of  W7  behavior later.)   FWIW I actually never allow general file search from the Start Menu, just Control Panel and All Programs, which is what W8 is still providing in its Start Screen.   ; )

Robert
    ---

Sunday, December 11, 2011 4:42 AM