none
Migration Path RRS feed

• Question

• Need to know what the migration path is for .NET Framework versions 1.1, 2.0, 3.0, 3.5, 4.0 and 4.5

Example:

I am at 2.0 and want to go to 4.0.  Do I need to install 3.5 first?

Monday, July 14, 2014 6:09 PM

Answers

• There is a lot of potential confusion in .NET version numbers.

3.0 and 3.5 are extensions to .NET 2.0, not complete frameworks.

.NET 4.0 is a complete separate framework, so you can install 4.0 on your system without updating 2.0.

Similarly, 4.5 is an in place update to 4.0, not a separate framework.

Whether you can successfully install newer .NET versions on your system depends on your Windows version and if your OS is patched up to date.

For more details on your situation, please share your Windows version and update status (i.e. are all SP's installed?).

• Marked as answer by jbruns2010 Saturday, July 19, 2014 5:30 PM
    Thursday, July 17, 2014 2:47 PM

All replies

• Hi jbruns2010,

What do you mean? What do you migrate? .Net Framework? I don't understand this. Please give me more information.

Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, July 15, 2014 2:15 AM
  • There is a lot of potential confusion in .NET version numbers.

3.0 and 3.5 are extensions to .NET 2.0, not complete frameworks.

.NET 4.0 is a complete separate framework, so you can install 4.0 on your system without updating 2.0.

Similarly, 4.5 is an in place update to 4.0, not a separate framework.

Whether you can successfully install newer .NET versions on your system depends on your Windows version and if your OS is patched up to date.

For more details on your situation, please share your Windows version and update status (i.e. are all SP's installed?).

• Marked as answer by jbruns2010 Saturday, July 19, 2014 5:30 PM
    Thursday, July 17, 2014 2:47 PM
  • Thanks for the update.  Due to so much confusion on upgrade paths or stand alone installs, what are the chances of getting a KB written that explains all of this and continues to for future releases?
    Saturday, July 19, 2014 5:28 PM
  • You say 4.5 is an add-on to 4.0 but isn't it interesting that when you install 4.5 on a system that has 4.0, after the install is over, there is no more entries in add/remove for 4.0, just 4.5
    Saturday, July 19, 2014 5:32 PM