Help on .net App Dev or .net Web Dev,,,Helpp RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi all,

I am an MCSE and I want to change careers from support to development. But, I am finding it difficult to decide to go the .net Web route or the .net AppDev route

My study plan is as below.

Exam 70–431: TS: Microsoft SQL Server 2005 - Implementation and Maintenance              

And

Exam 70–528: TS: Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 - Web-Based Client Development            

Then

Exam 70–536: TS: Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 - Application Development Foundation     

Or

Exam 70-526: TS: Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 – Windows-Based Client Development

What am I letting myself in for? and also which avenue is more lucrative.

One last question, I have little experience in coding and the books state that I need a little experience in coding, but which flavor and can anyone please recommending a beginners book.   

I’m sorry for all these questions but I would rather get it right at the beginning than have to change later on down the road.

In advance Thanks very much......

Wednesday, February 6, 2008 4:33 PM

Answers

•  

No problems at all.  I'd also get into the distributed certification too, they're all useful in the context of writing software generally, as you have the full picture, in terms of certifications at least.

It will definitely help your knowledge, and will give you good coverage of areas that will be useful.  That experience making coffees, and learning as a junior will give you a good chance to be a great developer in the future.  Good luck.

If you find my answers helpful, please could you select "yes" for did you find this post helpful, please?

Good luck with your studies, and subsequent experience!

Martin Platt.

Thursday, February 7, 2008 1:27 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Not really an architecture question, but I will try to answer it anyway.

I need to mention a few things, first, you need the 536 exam with either the Web or Windows exam to get the MCTS qualification, so that means I'd guess that you put the exams the wrong way around in your question.  If you have little or no devepment experience, you will probably find the exams quite a challenge if you do them properly, and I would recommend doing the core 536 exam first.

Secondly, if I was to interview you, I would be looking for valid experience, as having certifications by themselves means only that you have knowledge, that you have read books, but do you know how to use that information?

In terms of which is most lucrative, my answer is that web or windows development, whilst there are differences, when all said and done, they're just user interfaces, so with a well designed architecture, there shouldn't be that much to do with the web or windows form.  So I guess what I'm trying to say is, do both.  If you do one, you will limit your market reach.

Personally, I have the Web, Windows and Distributed certifications, if that helps at all?

I hope that this helps,

Martin Platt.

Wednesday, February 6, 2008 10:04 PM
  •  

Hey Martin,

Thanks very much for the reply its much appreciated input.

Yea I got my courses mixed up a bit, my apologies.

The reason for the exam is to get my foot on the ladder and if I was interviewing myself I wouldn’t give myself a job either, Ha-Ha.

I need to gain accreditation in order to get in as a junior or trainee\assistant, coffee getter \maker etc (he-he) and I fully realize the need for experience.

I really appreciate your reply and I will now aim to study both Windows based and web based..

Thanks again

Wednesday, February 6, 2008 11:26 PM
  •  

No problems at all.  I'd also get into the distributed certification too, they're all useful in the context of writing software generally, as you have the full picture, in terms of certifications at least.

It will definitely help your knowledge, and will give you good coverage of areas that will be useful.  That experience making coffees, and learning as a junior will give you a good chance to be a great developer in the future.  Good luck.

If you find my answers helpful, please could you select "yes" for did you find this post helpful, please?

Good luck with your studies, and subsequent experience!

Martin Platt.

Thursday, February 7, 2008 1:27 AM