trying to use Application.RunCommand (acCmdRename) to rename in VBA code a Table. RRS feed

• Question

• in my code I need to rename a table I import and tack on to name date of when renamed along with file name and project name. 

When this code goes into production I will NOT want user changing the names so I need to change the name in code.

My code has no problem getting file name and project name.

when I use   Application.RunCommand (acCmdRename)  in the VBA Editor that came with Access 2013. I get to acCmdRename but am unable to find out how to tell code I need to change name of a table.  AND enter the Before and After name.

Thanks,

Mark J

Mark J

Sunday, September 2, 2018 11:28 AM

Answers

• The idea is as follows: first, you select the object that you want to rename in the navigation pane on the left. Then, issue RunCommand acCmdRename. This has the same effect as pressing F2 or right-clicking the object and selecting Rename from the context menu.

Code:

Private Sub btnRename_Click()
        DoCmd.SelectObject acTable, "tblCustomers", True
        RunCommand acCmdRename
    End Sub

Result:

I don't think that is what you wanted...

Regards, Hans Vogelaar (http://www.eileenslounge.com)

Sunday, September 2, 2018 3:35 PM

All replies

• Instead of RunCommand acCmdRename, use DoCmd.Rename. This lets you specify the old and new names:

DoCmd.Rename "NewName", acTable, "OldName"

Instead of fixed names such as "NewName", you can also use string variables, or refer to text boxes on a form.

Sunday, September 2, 2018 2:07 PM
  • Hans,

Thanks.    DoCmd   Works.   I am passing strings to the three arguments needed. and that is working also.

I would still like to know where I was going wrong using the RunCommand

Due to as far as I could find RunCommand should be what to use.   And as far as I could tell I was doing every thing right.

I is clear I wasn't doing something right.

I figure I should at the least find what I was doing wrong. Even if I do not use RunCommand  Because I figure it is better to know why not to use something so I do not waste time trying to use something that will not work in the way I want. 

I am guessing that sometimes I need to use RunCommand instead of DoCmd.  Even if I do not learn how to use both.  

That is why I did not close my question even when you gave me a working method.

Mark J

Mark J

Sunday, September 2, 2018 2:33 PM
  • The idea is as follows: first, you select the object that you want to rename in the navigation pane on the left. Then, issue RunCommand acCmdRename. This has the same effect as pressing F2 or right-clicking the object and selecting Rename from the context menu.

Code:

Private Sub btnRename_Click()
        DoCmd.SelectObject acTable, "tblCustomers", True
        RunCommand acCmdRename
    End Sub

Result:

I don't think that is what you wanted...

Sunday, September 2, 2018 3:35 PM
  • Hans,

Thanks.  That was the missing bit of info I needed to understand how to use RunCommand.   And why my code did not work.

thanks again.

Mark J

Mark J

Tuesday, September 4, 2018 12:07 PM