none
Need to verify my setup RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I received the Kinectv2 last week but hadn't gotten around to play with it till today, but when I started looking at the docs, I realized that Kinectv2 needs Windows 8.1 and a specific USB card.

Now, my laptop is Asus K55V with Windows 7 installed. I can get a copy of Windows 8.1 from Dreamspark through my university and install it, but I still need to verify if the USB card built into my system will work with Kinect. <strike>I have attached the screen grab from my device manager showing the USB devices installed</strike>, I could not attach a screen grab of my device manager since my account is not yet verified, however it shows many USB devices installed, including one which says "Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller".

I would appreciate if someone could let me know if this setup will work, only in that case I will go ahead with trouble of installing Windows 8.1. If not, I will have to return the device, sadly.

Regards,

Arnolin

PS:

Also, I have Dell Venue 8 Pro tablet, but it only has a micro USB port. Although I have a microUSB to USB cable, I am pretty sure it won't support the high bandwidth data transfer. I'll try it out with though, anyway.

Monday, July 28, 2014 2:35 AM

Answers

• Intel and Renesas USB3 chipsets are the only supported one for the public preview. Also consider you need to have a supported GPU (DX11 shader level 5.0). Dell Venue 8 pro tablets come with x86 based operating systems which are not supported, so you would have to put and x64 based version of Windows 8.1 on it first.

Based on some experiments on the Surface Pro 3 i3 version, it did work, but perf could very well be an issue if you are doing anything beyond the basics.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Wednesday, July 30, 2014 8:05 PM