none
Cannot run Visual Studio 15

Question

• Having had a problem with Windows 10 it was necessary to rebuild my PC. I downloaded Visual Studio 15 but when I now try to run it I get error dialogues like

CodeAnalysisPackage did not load correctly, XamarinShellPackage did not load correctly, TestCloudIntegration did not load correctly, FormsIntellisense did not load correctly, UnifiedMigration did not load correctly, cssPackage did not load correctly, etc.

I have tried to update the application with the available item Visual Studio 2015 3 KB3165756 patch (version 14.0.25431) but get an error 'Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

I am consequently unable to open a website I have been previously developing.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Wednesday, October 12, 2016 3:48 PM

Answers

• To overcome the problem I uninstalled Visual Studio 2015 and deleted all folders associated with the installation. I then downloaded the free Visual Studio 2015 Community edition then reinstalled the Enterprise edition. It now appears to run perfectly well.

Thanks to all for your help.

Jim

• Marked as answer by JBMarland Sunday, October 16, 2016 10:02 AM
    Sunday, October 16, 2016 10:01 AM

All replies

• Hi JBMarland,

According to your description, you have two issues, one is for VS15 installing and the other is VS2015. According to the Error message “Object reference not set to …”, I suggest you could try the following septs to troubleshoot this issue:

1). Delete the contents from the following folders:

C:\Users\{user}\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio

C:\Users\{user}\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VSCommon

2). Click Start->Developer Command Prompt for VS-> type “devenv /resetuserdata”.

3). Re-installed all templates in VS. Type “devenv.exe /InstallVSTemplates” as above steps.

4). If above step don’t work for you, please repair your VS2015 and try again.

In addition, I could open a web project with VS15 that it was created by VS2015.

You could create a new web project with VS15 and make sure you have installed web component in VS15 as the following screenshot:

Sincerely,

Oscar

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place. Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, October 13, 2016 5:52 AM
  • Hi Oscar

Thanks for the suggestion.
    I carried out items 1 & 2 but when I tried item 3 I got an error “C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0>devenv/resetuserdata 'devenv' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.”
    I have uninstalled VS2015, deleted associated folders and reinstalled yet again. On completion, the page with the LAUNCH button at the bottom has the error message "KB3165756 requires a member of Visual Studio 2015 family to be present or is blocked by another condition on your computer" is displayed.
    Jim

Friday, October 14, 2016 7:18 AM
  • Hi Jim,

The following links have the similar issue with you, I hope this may be helpful for you. Please refer to the replies from jessehouwing and Ralph Tee.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/38185466/visual-studio-2015-update-3-setup-blocked

And here is a blog about your issue, please refer it.

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/heaths/2014/05/23/update-does-not-apply-or-is-blocked-by-another-condition-on-your-computer/

Sincerely,

Oscar

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place. Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, October 14, 2016 8:52 AM
  • To overcome the problem I uninstalled Visual Studio 2015 and deleted all folders associated with the installation. I then downloaded the free Visual Studio 2015 Community edition then reinstalled the Enterprise edition. It now appears to run perfectly well.

Thanks to all for your help.

Jim

• Marked as answer by JBMarland Sunday, October 16, 2016 10:02 AM
    Sunday, October 16, 2016 10:01 AM