none
System.Runtime.Remoting.RemotingException in Visual Studio Update 3 using Targus Laptop Dock

Question

• Searched the internet for hours and cant find a solution for this; hoping someone here can help.

I'm having problems loading the Designer view in VS2015 when I'm using my second display (using displaylink via a targus laptop dock). It ONLY happens when using this display. When I switch to screen 1 (the laptop screen) the designer view loads fine, but when using the display plugged into the dock, It never loads my projects in the designer view. Always the following error:

Does anyone have a solution?

Literally have no idea whats going on; I thought it was a corrupt VS install initially so I actually have just completed a clean Windows 10 install and it hasn't made a difference. Have now worked out it seems to just be when using the display connected via the dock.

Appreciate any guidance!

Friday, August 26, 2016 1:05 PM

All replies

• Hi kmrastegar,

Could you please share me which type of your project you have created, WPF or other project? And what is the device of targus laptop dock? As far as I know this issue may be caused by various reasons, please refer to the following steps to troubleshoot your issue:

1). Your issue appeared during using displaylink via a targus laptop dock. Please make sure that you have installed the latest drive for this device.

2). Please update you VS to the latest (Version 14.0.25425.01). You could perform this step by click menu Tools->Extensions and Updates->click Updates->Choose options that begin with the letters KB (KB3165756) and Update it. Which could exclude some bugs in VS2015.

3). Please run your VS in Administrator, which makes sure VS has enough permission to use other components in your machine.

4). Delete all the files in the shadow cache at

C:\Users\{user}\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0\Designer\ShadowCache

If I misunderstand your issue, please feel free to let me know.

Sincerely,

Oscar

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place. Click HERE to participate the survey.

Sunday, August 28, 2016 7:16 AM
  • Hi kmrastegar,

Could you please share me which type of your project you have created, WPF or other project? And what is the device of targus laptop dock? As far as I know this issue may be caused by various reasons, please refer to the following steps to troubleshoot your issue:

1). Your issue appeared during using displaylink via a targus laptop dock. Please make sure that you have installed the latest drive for this device.

2). Please update you VS to the latest (Version 14.0.25425.01). You could perform this step by click menu Tools->Extensions and Updates->click Updates->Choose options that begin with the letters KB (KB3165756) and Update it. Which could exclude some bugs in VS2015.

3). Please run your VS in Administrator, which makes sure VS has enough permission to use other components in your machine.

4). Delete all the files in the shadow cache at

C:\Users\{user}\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0\Designer\ShadowCache

If I misunderstand your issue, please feel free to let me know.

Sincerely,

Oscar

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place. Click HERE to participate the survey.

These are old UWP projects (for windows 10) that were previously working.

The targus dock is the USB 3.0 superspeed dual video docking station.

1) I have.

2) I have; I installed using the latest community installer on the day I posted this

3) Tried that too as I read it on a forum

4) This is a fresh install so I didn't try this step as there would be nothing in there; I will try it now though....nope didn't work

I have a workaround that works, if I set my dock to dual display mode (1 display being the laptop screen, the other the monitor connected to the dock) the projects load. Its an annoying workaround though as I shouldn't have to keep enabling my laptop monitor just to use VS. But in a nutshell, as long as the laptop monitor is an active display, VS works. The minute I set it to single monitor (the single monitor being the one connected to the dock) I get this error.

• Edited by kmrastegar Sunday, August 28, 2016 7:24 AM included screenshot
    Sunday, August 28, 2016 7:22 AM
  • This may be related the dock, because in your laptop the UWP could run without any problems. I think you had better check some settings in you machine.
    • Proposed as answer by qing__Moderator Thursday, September 1, 2016 9:11 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by kmrastegar Thursday, September 1, 2016 10:10 AM
    Sunday, August 28, 2016 1:13 PM