Deployment Excel 2013 Power Pivot File - Office 2013 Professional (Plus) required? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have Office 2013 Professional installed on my machine. In Excel 2013 I created for Power Pivot the data model and so on.
    In order to use the Excel 2013 file with the data model on other computers, do I need Office 2013 Professional installed as well or is e.g. the Home & Student version enough? I don't want to change anything in the data model on these Computers - such kind of work will be done only on my development machine.

Thank you very much!

Best,

Fabian

Monday, March 31, 2014 9:42 AM

Answers

• Hi Fabian,

Thanks to the new 'Data Model' feature in Excel 2013, all versions of Office 2013 can read and manipulate Power Pivot models indirectly. In other words, your target users that have non-pro editions of Office 2013 will be able to interact with Pivot Tables and Charts that consume the Power Pivot model, but they won't actually be able to see or directly access it.

Regards,

Michael

Please remember to mark a post that answers your question as an answer...If a post doesn't answer your question but you've found it helpful, please remember to vote it as helpful :)

Website: nimblelearn.com, Blog: nimblelearn.com/blog, Twitter: @nimblelearn

Monday, March 31, 2014 4:09 PM

All replies

• Hello Fabian,

See Start Power Pivot in Microsoft Excel 2013 Add-in:

"Power View and Power Pivot are available in the Office Professional Plus and Office 365 Professional Plus editions, and in the standalone edition of Excel 2013"

So it's not available in the Home/Student Edition of Office.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Monday, March 31, 2014 10:13 AM
  • Hello Olaf,

Thanks your for answer!

I know this statement, but experienced something different. When I open an Excel 2013 sheet with a Power Pivot data model with an Excel from Office Professional, it just works. Of course, I cannot change the data model, but can do all other things. Sorry, my example with Home/Student was wrong - the other computers do have Office Professional installed, but not the Pro-Version.

So it might work at the moment, but could change with any update from Microsoft, right?

Thanks!

Best,

Fabian

Monday, March 31, 2014 11:08 AM
  • Hi Fabian,

Thanks to the new 'Data Model' feature in Excel 2013, all versions of Office 2013 can read and manipulate Power Pivot models indirectly. In other words, your target users that have non-pro editions of Office 2013 will be able to interact with Pivot Tables and Charts that consume the Power Pivot model, but they won't actually be able to see or directly access it.

Regards,

Michael

Please remember to mark a post that answers your question as an answer...If a post doesn't answer your question but you've found it helpful, please remember to vote it as helpful :)

Website: nimblelearn.com, Blog: nimblelearn.com/blog, Twitter: @nimblelearn

Monday, March 31, 2014 4:09 PM