Data Lake Analytics hosting in the UK RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

I work for a CSP and we have a customer who is looking to run analytics in Azure with data having Python and R coding. My initial thoughts were Data Lake analytics, however I noticed that there is no ability to run this service in the UK. The customer has very strict governance around data sovereignty and with Brexit looming the data absolutely cannot leave the UK.

Is there any plans to release this service into UK South or UK West? If not, why not? With GDPR and Brexit the UK businesses will need to be far more strict on Information Protection and where that data resides.

Is there another service that could offer something similar that is hosted in the UK?

Kind regards, 

Adam

Wednesday, January 29, 2020 1:20 PM

All replies

• Hello Adam and thank you for your question and bringing this to our attention.

I will forward your concerns internally.  In case the product group has some questions for you, could you please email me at AzCommunity@Microsoft.com ?
    In the email, please include:

ATTN: MartinJaffer-MSFT
    Thread URL: <this page URL>
    Subscription ID: <your subscription ID>

In regards to other services, might I suggest Azure Databricks?  It can run Python and cam use either SparkR or sparklyr.  Databricks is currenly available in both UK West and UK South.  It also accepts Azure Data Lake Storage Gen1 as a data source.

Wednesday, January 29, 2020 11:41 PM
  • Hello Adam.  I heard back.  At this time there are no plans to expand Data Lake Analytics.  Also, Data Lake Store gen1 does not seem to be available in the UK, so you wouldn't be able to use the Analytics anyway.

There are some other services worth looking into.

Azure HDInsight and Azure Synapse (in preview).

HDInsight is available in UK South and UK West.

Azure Synapse is an expansion of Azure Data Warehouse.  Azure Data Warehoue gets attatched to an Azure SQL server.

In my personal opinion, Databricks is much easier to manage than HDInsight.  Also, while the HDInsight is 'always on', the Databricks clusters can be started and stopped.  This means, if your workload runs all day long, HDInsight is worth looking into, but if your workload is sporadic, or only at certain times of day, Databricks is more attractive.

Thursday, January 30, 2020 9:09 PM