none
what can windows server 2008 do for a home or small office network? RRS feed

• Question

• What benefit does it give to the workstations users, network administrators, etc.?

I have been searching the net for information but can't get simple answers.

Please give the benefits of using a windows server 2008 for a home or small office network, not technical features, specifications and marketing hype. I will appreciate simple answers, links of references and other useful resources.

Thank you.

(P.S.

I can't find a proper category for this post.)

a filipino newbie
    Saturday, November 27, 2010 3:12 AM

All replies

• This is a big question although it may not seem like it in font.

Assumtions I'm Making:

You run Active Directory to manage your users.

Your network consists of more then 8 machines and 2 printers.

Your network is dynamically Assigning IP's

What benefit does it give to the workstations users: * It provides the ability to quickly change users without logging other users out of the system as Previous Windows Environments forced you to log a user out and dump their current open data if they locked the system and left. (Assuming your using activ directory that comes with windows to manage your users)

network administrators: More Manageabiltiy. You can't berlive how much less work I have to do now that our network Is windows 7. I almost have time to twidle my thuimbs...almost.  By this I mean if there is a network IP conflict a user can simply click a rex X and windows will refresh the system IP. Likewise if it is missing a drifver it will search then system and then windows Update for it. Yes it finds something that will work even for your older hardware. I've found on Dell Vostro 200-410 Machines you have to add your own NIC due to the onboard not being compatable but you should check your hardware prior. But if you did want it I guess a benifit would be to lock all 7 of our computer tech kids out of their computers at the same time, force them all to restart, share updates, added security if you setup with Proxy server.

etc.? Other then Users and Admins? Who else is accessing your system?

I have been searching the net for information but can't get simple answers. * I like google.

Please give the benefits of using a windows server 2008 for a home  *I wouldn't for home. Make a workgroup then share a folder that all your machines on the local workgroup can add to and network your peripherals to it. 8 or less machines in a home doesn't need a "server" You can FTP off a regular desktop.

or small office network * The benifits to the office could be amazing. To more reliability to more security to mass deployment of new GPO's ( Group Poliocy Objects - Makes all the computers on the network download the same, change different settings the same, all at the same time, and much more.) You can virtualize,  capitalize on the benifits of Server 2008 R2 by simple installing it on a compatable device and growing your network knowing the heart of it will keep on beating for ages to come (7 years EOS)- End of Support.

not technical features: It boots up then asks you t6o login, Auto starts Server managment, Easy to add Roles and features making any hard to do admin task easy as pie. (Exception with Exchange Server 2010 - Just dont do it. Roll 2007 instead.So much mor estable)  and more but i'm running short on time.

We use Server 2008 R2 Ent on main site and it runs all 4 buildings with just 1 server. Email/Documents/Roaming Profiles/Printers/Access points/IP's and much more.

• Proposed as answer by Bsharpe Monday, November 29, 2010 10:05 PM
    Monday, November 29, 2010 10:05 PM