none
ISA interrupt for PCI device RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

We are using ISA interrupt for PCI device in our design. The PCI device is using IO address (fixed). Is it possible to load a ISA driver with ISA interrupt number and use the IO address (PCI) for this device instead of loading pci ddriver? If you have any other idea, please explain the same?

Thanks,

D. 

Sunday, February 28, 2016 5:53 PM

Answers

• You state that this is a PCI device, but it sounds like you are using both a fixed IO address and hardcoded interrupt? Also, is the interrupt edge triggered (ISA) or level sensitive?

This definitely does not conform with the PCI specification.  Does the device have a PCI configuration space, or is it just out on the PCI bus?  If it has a configuration space, I believe Windows will reject it if you don't allow the configuration to be written like a normal PCI.  If it does not have a configuration space, it may be possible to use the LogConfig section of an INF file to specify the address and interrupt.  You are definitely stepping way out of the norm, with this hardware.

As far as your question on ISA driver versus a PCI driver as of Windows XP all drivers accessing hardware have to be Plug and Play so the concept of a driver that understands ISA only is irrelevant.   Give us some more data on the device and the community may have suggestions.

Don Burn Windows Driver Consulting Website: http://www.windrvr.com

Sunday, February 28, 2016 6:18 PM

All replies

• You state that this is a PCI device, but it sounds like you are using both a fixed IO address and hardcoded interrupt? Also, is the interrupt edge triggered (ISA) or level sensitive?

This definitely does not conform with the PCI specification.  Does the device have a PCI configuration space, or is it just out on the PCI bus?  If it has a configuration space, I believe Windows will reject it if you don't allow the configuration to be written like a normal PCI.  If it does not have a configuration space, it may be possible to use the LogConfig section of an INF file to specify the address and interrupt.  You are definitely stepping way out of the norm, with this hardware.

As far as your question on ISA driver versus a PCI driver as of Windows XP all drivers accessing hardware have to be Plug and Play so the concept of a driver that understands ISA only is irrelevant.   Give us some more data on the device and the community may have suggestions.

Sunday, February 28, 2016 6:18 PM
  • Cross-bus resource sharing is not supported. In other words, you cannot have a device that uses hardware resources on more than one bus.

-Brian

Azius Developer Training www.azius.com Windows device driver, internals, security, & forensics training and consulting. Blog at www.azius.com/blog

Sunday, February 28, 2016 8:46 PM
  • Dear Don and Brain,

Thanks for your reply.

The interrupt is edge-triggered and this device is having PCI configuration space. We are using windows 7 for testing.

If we can access this PCI IO address in ISA driver then we can use ISA IRQ number in Logconfig. If my understanding is wrong, please correct me.

Thanks,

D.

Monday, February 29, 2016 7:55 AM
  • Does your PCI driver install successfully? If yes, what resources are assigned? (look in Device Manager).

If the driver starts, does it receive any interrupt resource(s)?

Monday, February 29, 2016 12:21 PM
  • I doubt seriously that this device is going to work, PCI expects level sensitive interrupts.  The only thing I can think of is to filter the resources to change the interrupt to an edge triggered, but this is a lot of work to get right.

Again there is no such thing as an ISA driver, all drivers need to be plug and play and respond to the resources they are given.

Monday, February 29, 2016 12:30 PM
  • It depends on the motivation of the OP.... Even pigs can fly, with certain techniques ;)

Monday, February 29, 2016 1:57 PM