none
Azure Container Service - Which docker volume drivers are available on ACS?

Question

• Hello,

We are testing Azure Container Service with swarm orchestration. I'm trying to figure out how to create a docker volume targeting a share on a storage account.

Is it possible to use directly azurefile driver on ACS?

More generally speaking is there a list of supported volume driver on ACS? I can not find (don't know where to look for) it in the documentation.

Thanks

Wednesday, July 13, 2016 10:11 AM

All replies

• Hi Mathieu,

Thank you for posting here! We are happy to assist you.

Docker Volume Driver which uses Azure Storage File Storage to mount file shares on the cloud to Docker containers as volumes. It uses network file sharing (SMB/CIFS protocols) capabilities of Azure File Storage.

You can create Docker containers that can migrate from one host to another seamlessly.
    You can share volumes among multiple containers running on different hosts.

Constraints based deployment: automated optimization for scheduling containers to specific nodes through labels and available drivers on nodes.

As a Docker native solution, you can use Docker Networking, Volumes and plugins through their respective Docker commands via Swarm.

This article will describe How Docker Volume Driver for Azure File Storage

For greater over view on Docker in ACS. Click here

For more information on Docker volumes with Azure File Storage. Click here

Disclaimer: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there.
    There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Regards,
    Sumanth BM

Wednesday, July 13, 2016 5:40 PM
  • Hi,

I have also tried to create a docker volume using Azure File on ACS Swarm cluster with the following command line :

docker volume create --name datashare -d azurefile -o account-name="<my account name>" -o account-key="<my storage key>" -o storageBase="data"

The command line failed with error :
    Error response from daemon: create datashare: create datashare: Error looking up volume plugin azurefile: plugin not found

So its seems that the azure file service driver is not installed on ACS clusters. How can we use file service for mounting a share volume ? Or what is the best practice for this use case (mounting a shared volume on ACS Swarm)

Thanks in advance for your reply
    Best regards,
    Matthieu 

Tuesday, August 2, 2016 1:09 PM
  • Hi Matthieu,

The below mentioned link may help you in this scenario.

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-in/documentation/articles/storage-dotnet-how-to-use-files/

You may also see here Mount Azure Blob Storage as Local Drive

For more information on Azure container . Click here

For information on Docker volumes with Azure File Storage. Click here

For greater over view on Docker in ACS. Click here

Regards,
    Sumanth BM

Sunday, August 21, 2016 11:17 AM