Can Windows Store App Sleep and Wake?

Question

• Can a Windows Store app programmatically put the system to sleep mode, and then at a specific time interval wake it up to continue running the same app without requiring the user to be present to unlock and login into the system? If so, how do you accomplish this? The goal of this process is to run an app for long periods of time in order to monitor sensors with either a phone or a tablet. We'd prefer not to use a power cord. So power management is crucial and that is why the ability to control sleeping and waking is desired. Is this possible or is there a different method that should be used? Thanks.
    Tuesday, January 29, 2013 2:54 PM

Answers

• Hi Indesyne,

You can't get the exact control you are asking for here, but I think you can get the ultimate behavior you are looking for by running a background task. Windows will handle the power management for you. See the Introduction to Background Tasks White Paper for more information.

If you need more help with this please post specific questions about this in the appropriate forum for the language you are using.

--Rob

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 1:57 AM

All replies

• Hi Indesyne,

You can't get the exact control you are asking for here, but I think you can get the ultimate behavior you are looking for by running a background task. Windows will handle the power management for you. See the Introduction to Background Tasks White Paper for more information.

If you need more help with this please post specific questions about this in the appropriate forum for the language you are using.

--Rob

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 1:57 AM
  • Hi Indesyne,

--Rob

Hi Rob,

I have a similar question with respect to the threads behavior when the windows system goes to the sleep mode. 

The scenario is I have a long running thread, that process the queue (collection) which gets loaded by the via TIBCO event. I don't want the this thread to be stopped when the system goes to sleep mode, because the queue size keeps increasing if the app is left open for some 1 or 2 days.

Thanks,

Muni

Friday, April 11, 2014 5:46 AM