Brokered Windows Runtime Component app crashes on real device(Surface Pro with 64bit Windows 8.1)

Question

• Hi All,

I have created a Brokered Windows Runtime Component and a Brokered Proxy Stub in my solution using this tutorial. The solution hierarchy is like

I have everything working fine on my development machine which has 64bit Windows 8.1 installed too. But the app crashes everytime I run it on Surface Pro.

The exception thrown is "Requested Windows Runtime type 'BrokeredComponent.Class' is not registered. at
    System.StubHelpers.StubHelpers.GetWinRTFactoryObject(IntPtr pCPCMD) at BrokeredComponent.Class..ctor() at WinRTBrowserPOC.MainPage.d__0.MoveNext()".

I understand the problem is with component registration which is done on the dev machine by setting Linker/General/Register Output –> YES on ProxyStub project(given VS is running in admin mode) but I can't figure out why this step is required on a real device and how do I do it.

Do I need to manually transfer the dll and winmd files generated on dev machine to the device at the location mentioned in ActivatableClassAttribute?
    Do I need to manually register the dll on device using regsrv32?

Please let me know how do I resolve this issue.

Regards,

Vinay
    Wednesday, July 30, 2014 4:47 AM

All replies

• Hi Vinay - there's a walkthrough for brokered components here:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/wsdevsol/archive/2014/04/14/cheat-sheet-for-using-brokered-windows-runtime-components-for-side-loaded-windows-store-apps.aspx

If that doesn't help, please upload your app to OneDrive so I can check it out.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Thursday, July 31, 2014 12:16 PM
  • Hi Matt,

I have already gone through the walk through you mentioned. It didn't help either.

Here's link to my app's source on OneDrive. Please have a look at it.

Regards,

Vinay

• Edited by VinayPPatil Monday, October 6, 2014 7:23 AM
    Friday, August 1, 2014 10:17 AM
  • Hello.

Finally, how could you do it?

I'm having the same problem and I am really blocked...

Thursday, April 30, 2015 11:10 AM