[UWP] WiFiDirectServiceAdvertiser Class, & P2P Service Information Discovery Capability RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a specific example of a technical configuration that is capable of running the WiFiDirectServiceAdvertiser sample that is included in the Windows 10 SDK Samples library?  What is that configuration?  If there were multiples or, better still, a list of conforming products/configurations, that would make for a good and useful answer.

Background: In recent years, a few developers (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/30999336/wifi-direct-in-windows-10-says-unsupportedhardware-althought-it-should-be-supp) have attempted putting Windows 10 in the role of advertising one or more WiFi Direct Services. The capabilities required for Service Advertisements are said to appear as "P2P", and not as "WiFi Direct" (which are necessary for WiFi Device advertisements, but which are insufficient for WiFi Service).  A workable runtime environment has remained ... "illusive" ... despite documented standards compliance and the passage of time.

As recently as today, Intel reports (https://communities.intel.com/message/471016) that its current production hardware and software driver does not appear to meet the technical requirements necessary for a Microsoft documented function that has been in the General Availability builds since 10.0.10240.

Can and would you please provide some insight not otherwise commonly available so that Developers can proceed with adding the service advertising functionality to applications?

Monday, May 1, 2017 11:00 PM

All replies

• Hi AManAPlanPanama,

Do you mean you want to know how to test the  WiFiDirect sample?

When you test the WiFiDirect sample, you should make sure that your devices support Wi-Fi Direct.

Then install the WiFiDirect sample on both devices, one configure the Advertiser page and another one configure Connector page to connect the previous device as the following images.

In the second image, you will find the device to connect, please select it. Meanwhile you can configure different selection in both the 3 step in the picture, but it should be same.

Besides, if it does not what you want, could you give me your issue more details?

Best regards,

Breeze

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Breeze Liu Wednesday, May 3, 2017 9:40 AM
    Tuesday, May 2, 2017 11:25 AM
  • Breeze-

Thank you for your prompt attention.  My question is not "how to operate the WiFi Direct Device sample" with its Advertiser nor even "how to operate a WiFi Direct Service sample" with its Advertiser.  Rather, my question is "what are the technical requirements so that an Advertiser of a WiFi Direct Service can, in fact, operate and transmit its advertisement?".  The problem experienced is not limited to "does Microsoft have sample code?" (it does).  The problem experienced is better expressed in the accusation "there is no hardware, driver and Windows operating system configuration that can be used to demonstrate that, in fact, the WiFi Direct Service advertisement is being advertised and can be received over WiFi".  My submitted request was of the form: "please prove that accusation false by identifying a minimally complete specification that Microsoft certifies as functioning in the way it has documented for WiFi Direct Services (NOT for the easier case of WiFi Direct Device connections for which there are known-good configuration".

Is that a clearer formulation?

Thanks for readdressing this situation, now with the additional clarity.

P2P Service Info Discovery (assumed requirement) not met; WiFi Direct Device requirement met, but insufficient
    Tuesday, May 2, 2017 4:08 PM
  • Hi AManAPlanPanama,

Sorry for my first reply, and I have modified it that the wifi direct don't need an Internet connection and you can connect anywhere, anytime. See Wi-Fi Direct.

Wi-Fi Direct is a technology that enables Wi-Fi devices to connect directly, making it simple and convenient to do things like print, share, sync and display. In my test, if you device can use the wifi direct, the P2P Device Discovery should support too. A Wi-Fi Direct Device on the PC is not discoverable by default. Before it becomes discoverable, Windows will configure the P2P Device Info on the port and provide the set of IEs to include in the probe response. More details, you can refer to Wi-Fi Direct Device Discovery.

This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Best regards,

Breeze

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 4, 2017 7:47 AM
  • Breeze-

I realize it remains my fault that my question has been unclear.  I have been assuming Microsoft's and your familiarity with the distinction between what, in C#, is:

Your comments appear to focus on the former, which are, as you say, used for WiFi Direct Device connections.  And we have long ago successfully coded and deployed uses of that class in both advertising and connecting roles.

However, my question(s) is about WiFi Direct Service connections, the latter API, and whether Microsoft can identify any technical environment in which calls to that API will, in fact and not only on-paper, work in conformance with the specifications.  In addition to the API specification, I believe the operative industry standard specifications go by the marketing name "Wi-Fi Aware" which is/are distinct from "Wi-Fi Direct".  Microsoft appears to reflect the distinction in its namespaces noted above.  So, to the extent that Microsoft-specific use of key terms is non-standard, please point that out so that I should better understand your meaning.

Without restating my original and clarified query, the Monday, May 01, 2017 11:00PM question stands unaddressed.  I again ask for your attention to providing an answer to that question, and also now ask for your diligence in seeking-out a knowledgeable colleague so that you and I might both benefit from their insights as applied to the question at hand.

Thursday, May 4, 2017 2:43 PM
  • Hi AManAPlanPanama,

I have involved someone who is familiar with this topic to look into this issue, it may be some time delay. Appreciate your patience in advance.

Best regards,

Breeze

MSDN Community Support

Monday, May 8, 2017 7:35 AM