XAML UI Designer Taking up over 90% CPU

Question

• I am designing a Windows Store Application. It was going fine until recently. When my computer started slowing down quite a bit. I take a look at task manager to see what is happening and a Visual Studio 2013 background process is taking up over 90% of the cpu.

I'm using Visual Studio 2013 Professional, Windows 8.1, I'm using DevExpress for some UI controls, the file seems to be stored in 

C:\Users\justin.seymour\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\12.0\Designer\ShadowCache\bluqbslg.xkr\zpx1bqc3.03c

The file name is XDesProc.exe
    Monday, December 23, 2013 4:22 PM

Answers

• Don't run the loop in the designer. You can call DesignModeEnabled to detect design mode and disable any code that isn't  essential there. Also see Displaying data in the designer

You may want to consider reducing your loop's usage in general. You don't want the app continually running when not necessary, so the app should back off from the loop whenever it doesn't need it, not just in the designer.

Saturday, December 28, 2013 3:40 PM

All replies

• 1) Does this occur with all apps, or one particular app?  If one app, does it reproduce on all machine?

2) Is it completely updated?

3) Have you tried a repair on this machine?

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Monday, December 23, 2013 8:07 PM
  • I think I have figured out why this was happening.

I have a continuous loop that runs in the background. It seems like this loop doesn't end when the Stop debugging button is pressed. Is there an event I can subscribe to to make sure I close the loop?

Friday, December 27, 2013 3:27 PM
  • Don't run the loop in the designer. You can call DesignModeEnabled to detect design mode and disable any code that isn't  essential there. Also see Displaying data in the designer

You may want to consider reducing your loop's usage in general. You don't want the app continually running when not necessary, so the app should back off from the loop whenever it doesn't need it, not just in the designer.

Saturday, December 28, 2013 3:40 PM
  • Thank you.

The issue is I may not be able to back off from the loop. It is processing continuous incoming data. Is there a recommended way to handle this? I've been reading through the background task stuff and it seems like that is what I should be using but none of the examples I saw used loops like I would be.

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 3:03 PM
  • You should turn off the data feed in the designer. You can use static sample data if necessary (see my previous links). If the data is needed continuously in production then keep it going there, but busy loops should be avoided whenever possible.

A background task doesn't sound relevant to your scenario.

--Rob

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 3:58 PM