none
Automate deployment of .Net 3.5 SDK RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi folks.
    I am looking at a project where I am going to have to install .Net 3.5 and the SDK to large numbers of Windows 2003 servers. So I am looking at a way of automating the process, hopefully so I can use SMS to facilate the roll out.

The .Net 3.5 framework is not an issue. My problem is the SDK. One issue I have is the servers I am working with are on an isolated network segment with no internet access. And since there does not appear to be an MSI installer package, I am looking at the ISO disk image.

Does anybody know of a way I script an install off of the extracted ISO and put in custom settings like install path and select different options on install?

Hopefully I am just missing some obvious option.

Thanks a lot for any help you can provide.
    David

• Changed type Figo Fei Tuesday, March 31, 2009 7:01 AM comment
    Wednesday, March 25, 2009 7:51 PM

All replies

• Hi David

Do you mean install "Windows SDK for Windows Server 2008 and .NET Framework 3.5": http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=F26B1AA4-741A-433A-9BE5-FA919850BDBF&displaylang=en?

You're going to install on a single server or several servers without network connection?
    Why did you want to script an install to complete the setup?
    What about installing from DVD directly (either burn the ISO to DVD media or mount it on a virtual drive)

Thanks.
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Edited by Figo Fei Friday, March 27, 2009 3:56 AM typo
    Friday, March 27, 2009 3:53 AM
  • We are changing the issue type to “General Discussion” because you have not followed up with the necessary information. If you have more time to look at the issue and provide more information, please feel free to change the issue type back to “Question” by opening the Options list at the top of the post editor window, and changing the type. If the issue is resolved, we will appreciate it if you can share the solution so that the answer can be found and used by other community members having similar questions.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 7:01 AM
  • Okay,
    I am dragging this one back up because I have not had any luck through other means.

We are installing the DotNet 3.5 Framework and SDK to over 750+ servers. These servers are in a isolated network segment, so they do not have internet access.

The focus currently is on the SDK install.

On the install we want to do a couple items:
    These are web and application servers, so we do NOT need to have documentation and samples installed on the boxes. It is just a waste of space.
    We would like to change the default path of the installation to point to a new location, i.e. D:\Program Files\Microsoft.NET\SDK35.

I was hoping at one point to not have to copy the entire 1.3GB ISO around to do the installs, but that is of secondary importance at this point.

We need to automate the install so that we can run mutliple installs at once (since our outage windows are limited), and to limit the chances of user error on the installs.

Thank you
    David
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 3:12 PM