Columns for Tracking International Bank Transfers RRS feed

• Question

• I am building a database and have a table which tracks the info on where we send wire transfers.

I have columns for:

Bank Account Name

Bank Account Number

Bank Address1

Bank Address2

BankAddress3

BankAddress4

BankRouting

BankSwift
    BankIBAN

BankIbanInternational

BankSort

BankBSB

BankABA

BankChipNum

..... but it seems, every time I turn around, there's a new type of code

Now I'm seeing:

Institution#

Transit#

SwiftBic

how are other folks dealing with this?

Do you really make a new, dedicated column for each new type of identification number????

Marion in Rochester
    Tuesday, June 28, 2011 8:34 PM

Answers

• You could

1. Create a lookup table that contains the various Identification Number Types (IdentificationNumberTypeID (PK) and IdentificationNumberTypeDesc).  This way you could add new types without having to create a new column in the Bank Account table.
    2. Create a table that stores IdentificationNumberTypeID and BankAccountID (or whatever is the primary key for the Bank Account table).  This way a bank account could be linked to 1 or more Identification Number Types 

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    • Marked as answer by mtpaper Wednesday, June 29, 2011 12:02 AM
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 12:01 AM

All replies

• You could

1. Create a lookup table that contains the various Identification Number Types (IdentificationNumberTypeID (PK) and IdentificationNumberTypeDesc).  This way you could add new types without having to create a new column in the Bank Account table.
    2. Create a table that stores IdentificationNumberTypeID and BankAccountID (or whatever is the primary key for the Bank Account table).  This way a bank account could be linked to 1 or more Identification Number Types 

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    • Marked as answer by mtpaper Wednesday, June 29, 2011 12:02 AM
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 12:01 AM
  • Of course

that makes sense..

thanks

Marion in Rochester
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 12:03 AM